Whitetail Deer 4 Sale

Beekeeper

Richard,
Deer farming today is the Ostrich and Emu farms of the past. Niceley and his cronies are trying to sell this as a way to save the family farms. I wonder how many farmers that own 100 to 200 acres could afford to put a deer proof fence (high Fence) around it? This is just a means for existing deer farms in other states, many of these states have identified EHD in deer herds located in those states , to expand their customer base.

TheLBLman

Beekeeper said:
This is just a means for existing deer farms . . . . to expand their customer base.
And it appears Frank Nicely has been planning to start a deer farm for either himself or his cronies, or both. Nothing else makes any sense for him to have been pushing so hard for "deer farms".

JWW4

I agree with most of what he said except all animals were wild before they weren't. Goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, pigs, dogs, cats, llamas and everything else we farm was wild before we started farming it.

If preventing CWD is the reason then I'll go along, but if the only reason to not allow deer farming is to keep them wild, I don't. Just because something is now farmed does not mean it totally disappears from the wild.

Beekeeper

JWW4 said:
I agree with most of what he said except all animals were wild before they weren't. Goats, sheep, cattle, chickens, pigs, dogs, cats, llamas and everything else we farm was wild before we started farming it.

If preventing CWD is the reason then I'll go along, but if the only reason to not allow deer farming is to keep them wild, I don't. Just because something is now farmed does not mean it totally disappears from the wild.
I think the refrence to farmed animals was for traditonally farmed animals. I don't think you will find anywhere there was a wild herd of Jersey Cows or a flock or Rhode Island Red.

TheLBLman

JWW4 said:
Every endeavor has it's beginning.
The question is how far do we want to take "deer farming"?

Tell me, how many formerly wild animals came to be "farmed" or raised domestically on a large scale, and now still exist on a large scale as "wild"?
Something to think about.

I know there are bison farms, but they came about after "wild" bison were all but wiped out, very unlike the situation with whitetail deer.

JWW4

Beekeeper said:
JWW4 said:

I think the refrence to farmed animals was for traditonally farmed animals. I don't think you will find anywhere there was a wild herd of Jersey Cows or a flock or Rhode Island Red.

Have you ever seen a wild chiwawa or tabby cat? Ofcourse not, same with jersey cows and RIRs. Those are specialized breeds brought about through selective breeding. There are wild cattle and birds still in their "origional" forms.

BSK

Deer farming is a big pyramid scheme. 90% of the market is simply selling farmed deer to other deer farmers just starting up. They MUST enlarge their base (areas where deer farming is legal) to make any money, hence the push to open deer farming in new locations.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
Deer farming is a big pyramid scheme. 90% of the market is simply selling farmed deer to other deer farmers just starting up. They MUST enlarge their base (areas where deer farming is legal) to make any money, hence the push to open deer farming in new locations.
Thats dumb,but makes sense.

Pursuit Hunter

Football Hunter said:
BSK said:
That is exactly what is going on. You can go to the deer farming message boards and find discussions abou the need to expand the market for "breeder bucks".

Football Hunter

Pursuit Hunter said:
Football Hunter said:
BSK said:
That is exactly what is going on. You can go to the deer farming message boards and find discussions abou the need to expand the market for "breeder bucks".
On the other hand,being a "breeder" for a job,sounds pretty good :)

Latest posts