Whitetail fawn study

backyardtndeer

Good article. And yes, it is interesting that bucks release from a doe that may still be in estrous, but the buck may leave that doe for another after he already breeds the first one. That gives opportunity for the next buck to come along. I thought it was well known that twin and triplet fawns often have different paternal genetics.

DoubleRidge

We talk allot about habitat management and projects we can do to benefit the herd....this article touches on one of the most affordable projects we can do....open the forest canopy and allow sunlight in....and/or let portions of fields, utility line right of ways grow up:

"Research, along with commonsense, tells us that a fawn is most at risk during its first weeks after touchdown.

Researchers conclude that poor bedding cover (lack of undergrowth) adds to fawn mortality.

Further, fawn predation is highest where there is a lack of bedding cover, such as in many suburban landscapes, parks, and older growth forest areas with a high canopy and sparse vegetative cover.

Ideal fawning areas should be as dense as possible, a mixture of weeds, flowers, brush, etc. scattered throughout a property to give whitetail fawns a greater chance and predators a greater challenge."

So...if work schedules dont allow us to run trap lines daily...then creating fawning and nesting cover is a project that gives a great return on investment.

TheLBLman

So...if work schedules dont allow us to run trap lines daily...then creating fawning and nesting cover is a project that gives a great return on investment.
Totally agree.

That said, in many areas of TN, I believe coyote predation is over-stated.
And I absolutely hate coyotes, wish we could eradicate every last one of them.

But when we get a trail cam pic of a dead fawn being carried by a coyote,
that does not mean that coyote killed that fawn. Often, it's just that the fawn died of some other cause, and the coyote scavenged it.

While I'm all for trapping coyotes, in terms of protecting fawns, unless you do a lot of that trapping in April, you'll probably get a much higher return on your time by creating more great cover areas.

BSK

We shall see how the data keeps going, but my fawn recruitment rate sky-rocketted once I produced a lot of cover on my place. Other clients in the same area are seeing the same results: lots of cover equals a sudden surge in fawn survival.

On my place, the three years prior to our last big timber cut, our fawn recruitment was only running around 20%. The first year following the cut (a winter cut so we had good regrowth the first summer), the fawn recruitment jumped to 55%. The second year after the cut fawn recruitment jumped to almost 70%. That's a HUGE difference.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

^^^^^ Foodplots are my hobby as much as hunting but undisturbed bedding areas are maybe more important. The thicker the better . ^^^^^
No doubt....cover can be a huge part of a management plan....but your description of "undisturbed " is spot on.....giving deer places to go with little or no pressure is a great plan!

BSK

No doubt....cover can be a huge part of a management plan....but your description of "undisturbed " is spot on.....giving deer places to go with little or no pressure is a great plan!
Mine are "undisturbed" primarily because they're so thick I can't force my way into them these days! Head high blackberries and saplings.