Interesting study on brassicas

JCDEERMAN

Also, I'll add that I don't hunt food plots, at least not much at all. I do however plant as many types of grains and brassicas to try and feed deer during those voided gaps of food when it is lacking. If that means Jan-Apr, that is completely fine with me! It will help jumpstart their bodies, which will then help jumpstart bucks' racks, moms milk production, etc….their bodies are what needs to be taken care of first and foremost

BSK

Fascinating study.

Although honestly, I no longer use brassicas in my plots. I've gone back to the "simple" plants that do quite well in poorer soils: wheat, crimson clover, winter peas. I use Buckwheat as a "cover crop" in early fall to reduce browse pressure on the "true" winter plants.

BSK

I wonder what it is that triggers sudden usage? I've seen it time and again, brassicas getting huge, no usage, then a hard freeze and deer start hammering it.

megalomaniac

As an aside, my radishes are still going strong... never had them survive this late into winter. The warmer than normal December has been kind to them!

TNTreeman

Very interesting. I love brassicas in my plots. My family loves all greens- turnip greens, kale, collard, chard. Spinich etc. I'll say I like the taste of turnip greens after a frost , more of a bitter taste to me which I like. The deer hit mine from the time they sprout till they dig the turnips.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I wonder what it is that triggers sudden usage? I've seen it time and again, brassicas getting huge, no usage, then a hard freeze and deer start hammering it.
I as well. This is 180 degrees from what I have believed. I snack on the brassicas all season and to my human palate they seem increasingly more sweet with progressing frosts. Is there a difference in measured sugars versus perceived sugars? like in stevia?