Which Choke?

TNDOC

I have been wanting to invest in a good tube for my pellet slinger but didn't want to change things up mid season. Can't quit what is working but.....

I want to extend my range. I shoot a 870 3in gun with a 22in barrel and I'm shooting an old remington extra full choke with win #5's.

Any suggestions would be helpful, especially from anyone with this gun. I'd like to know where to start before going and buying a hundred bucks worth of shells and different chokes.

I was reading earlier about the CNC chokes but don't want to make a $50 mistake.

Thanks

TiminTN

If I were you, I`d look at the Rhino choke. It is one of the few that have a 2" extension. Your 21" barrel is really hurting your range, bad. Your best option may be to find a 24" or 26" barrel. With #5 shot, try a .665". I shoot #6 and they will cleanly kill out as far as anyone has any business attempting a shot, and use a .660" Rhino.

Ruger, the .675" is fine with the Mossberg and its .770" bore diameter, with 3" #6 shot but the Remingtons have a .730" bore size and use tighter constrictions than the Mossberg.

fastbs

i'm a fan of the carlsons ported. not to tight at close range not to loose at 45-55yds. cheaper than alot of other choices too.

buckdead

oldgobbler.com
the guys on there really know their stuff when it comes to turkey guns and they are really really helpful. it will blow your mind the patterns alot of the guys on there get.

4onaside

Like some have suggested, it is a combo of barrel length, shell and choke to achieve maximum effeciency, not just the choke tube. Assuming a 2 oz load in a 12, #6's give you 110 more pellets than do #5's.And copper coated 6's still do the job. I shoot an 870 express with a 26 inch barrel. I bought a Carlson flush mounted turkey choke this year for 20 bucks to replace a remington non-flush extended which shortened the gun length by an inch for puposes of manuverability in my blinds. Proceeded to totally miss a turkey this year for the first time in my life(well I totally missed with shots #1 and 2). LOL However, that was not the fault of the choke but the shooter. Regardless of what choke you are using, you have to put it on him!

Winchester

Rhino definitely gets the nod, they are a bit expensive but will outperform all others in most guns with the right shell combo.