Which choke?

drrxnupe

The ScubaCamper said:
Why not for Turkey or Ducks? Is it too long?

I have the SA-08 deluxe with the high-gloss walnut stock. I bought it because I wanted a "pretty" semi-auto shotgun that I could pass down to my son some day. I shopped for something used in the Browning or Benelli class but they were the same or more of the price of a new SA-08 deluxe. I have a Mossberg 935 that I use when I'm hunting in the elements or around water.

I do have to say that I really LOVE my Weatherby though. It shoots extremely well. After more than 1,000 rounds, it has never had a single hiccup.

The ScubaCamper

I've got the same model - it's really pretty and I've wondered about taking it into the woods for that same reason.

I can't afford to buy another though, so for now, this is all I've got. :)

drrxnupe

The ScubaCamper said:
I've got the same model - it's really pretty and I've wondered about taking it into the woods for that same reason.

I can't afford to buy another though, so for now, this is all I've got. :)

I can dig it. Just make sure you clean and lubricant after hunting and it should last a long time.

deerhunter10

Well I would start off shooting the jelly head, or hevi shot. As far ad a cheaper good choke shooting hevi shot.mag blends. If you want to go a more all out route I'd go with a rhino and still shooting mag blends.

Buckhunter10

Primos Jelly Head are good chokes for a good price. If you want to spend more go with a Rhino. I shoot the Rhino .660 and have shot multiple birds over 50 no problem.

TheLBLman

Ha! We must be somewhat on the same page!
I also have a Weatherby autoloader, except mine is in 20 gauge, and has become my dedicated turkey gun (at least when lots of walking is involved). I'm just using the Weatherby factory extra-full turkey choke, coupled with Federal Heavyweight #7 loads, and it is a very effective turkey gun out to 45 yards. (With that particular load, more credit to the load than the choke, it's a more effective turkey gun than most of the 12 gauges I've used over the past decades.)

drrxnupe said:
I have a Mossberg 935 that I use when I'm hunting in the elements or around water.

I do have to say that I really LOVE my Weatherby though. It shoots extremely well. After more than 1,000 rounds, it has never had a single hiccup.
I also have a 12 ga. Mossberg 935 dedicated turkey gun. I went with Mossberg because (even though there are better quality guns) their 935 series guns consistently produce the best patterns with turkey loads. Mossberg builds the 935 series 12 ga barrels as a 10 ga barrel "chambered" for 12 ga shells. This results in less pellet deformation, more uniform patterns.

But with a lightweight 20 ga now that's a terrific turkey gun, the Mossberg has taken the back seat. I put a Burris Fastfire sight on the 20 ga., and have been very pleased with both that sight and the Weatherby 20 ga.

REN

which choke is a good question but in reality which ammo is where you should start as certain chokes are great with certain ammo. If you going to shoot lead thats fine but some chokes shoot 6 shot great but 4 or 5 shot poorly etc....Some chokes shoot Hevi Shot lights out but not very good with cheap lead shells.

IMO shoot good ammo and the choke is a bit easier to find.

Latest posts