Where to get a whole pig?

JimFromTN

My brother is getting married in October and wants me to smoke him a whole pig for the wedding reception. Where do I get one that is ready to throw on the smoker and what can I expect to pay?

jb3

Jim, check out www.slowfoodnashville website. They have some links to local farms that provide about anything you want. Some set up shop at Farmers Market in Nashville. This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Wildcat

Are you friends with a local butcher? He will speical order you one the way you want it, weight and everything. When I order mine I have to order it 2 sometimes 3 weeks ahead of time.

bowriter

R.I.P.
The place where I use to get mine burned down so I dont' know, now. But I'll tell you this, while that place was burning, the smell on my patio would make you drool. They were a sausage compnay here in Lebanon and you could smell that cooking for miles.

As a boy, we had our own and we would get a shoat in and put it on corn for a couple weeks then dip it in boiling water and scrape the hair off and slow cook it over bitter pecan, hickory and oak for about 10 hours. We would score the skin side and rub seasoning in and then baste the inside with a milk base sauce.

Then Rudy Chevalier would show up and the music would start. We are playing a little one night and it is getting just about time to eat and we just broke out into Jole Blonde. It was something for the angels. The women all came out and just stood there and got their hankies out of their sweater sleeves and for the only time in their lives they were quiet. Rudy and Joe Lavespiere sang a harmony that just made you weep. I was playing bass and I just backed off and thumped every now and then.

When we finished, nobody said a word we just put our instruments up and Uncle Alphus hollered "Let's eat." I looked over at my aunt Jesse and she was just quitely praying and smiling like a cow eating prickly pear.

Hawk

I think this outfit could help you out.
Hays Meat Company
19690 Highway 412 E
Lexington, TN 38351
(731) 967-1411

redblood

Local farmers. Just follow your nose. You can by a ruptured hog for a little of nothing and they are fine for whole hog cooking. Southern hog market is dead, so hogs are cheap. I bought a hampshire show gilt for 50 cent a pound ready to slaughter and delivered to my protcessor. You can buy a 200 lb market hog for 40 cents all day long.

Latest posts