Where to find real black powder (GOEX)?

jakeway

I've been shooting loose 777 in my 50 Cal inline for years, but I'm seriously thinking of getting a cap and ball revolver. Also thinking of using my sidelock percussion and flint lock again. But I have almost no FFg and only some 25 yr old FFFFg Goex I bought as primer for the flinter.

Where can you buy GOEX or other real black powder in Middle Tennessee? I really don't want to go to 777 or Pyrodex, and I'm hoping to just buy a lb of it somewhere to avoid paying for 5 lb minimum and heavy shipping and hazmat fees.

Smo

Tip does not sell powder that I'm aware of.

Bass Pro in Nashville sells it.

You have to go talk to the clerks at the gun shop area.

Tell them what you want.

If the try to sell you a sub. Tell them you want to speak to the store Manager.

The last I bought there was two years back. It was $22 a pound then.

Real BP has strict storage rules in the retail market. It's locked away in the back.

I was told only two people in the store were authorized to open the storage area.

I order mine on line. They will ship it right to your door.

Wobblyshot1

I think the availability or lack thereof of black powder has been really detrimental to the traditional sport. For myself it is easy to get but usually when I buy I try to buy by the case with friends so the per can cost is as low as you can get....most can't do this.

I agree, for the most part, with Smo. You might try Tip(Cross Plains) anyway. His number is 615-654-4445.

The Triune Gun and Saddle Shop use to carry it and according to their website, still do. 615-395-7555. Triune is south of Nolensville and between Franklin and Murfreesboro.

Smo

I never thought about the difficulty of getting powder having an effect on the Traditional muzzleloader.

But you very well could be right.

Powder Inc. and a few more places will ship 5 pound orders , but the shipping /Haz May fee will cost you as much as for a case. :(

Wobblyshot1

I'm saying a young person who might be wanting to try traditional style may give up when he cant find a can of real black powder. Heck, he may have a hard time affording one can much less buying it in bulk. I actually think this has already happened. Just pay a visit to the NMLRA shoots in Indiana. Remove the grey beards and that place is a ghost town.
We both know that the real stuff works so much better in that type of firearm than any of the substitutes but because of PITA regulation retailers just cant justify carrying it.

Smo

I understand what your saying and fully agree.

I've seen what you are saying at the NMLRA shoots and agree with that too.

What I do like to see is some of these Guys asking questions about traditional style guns.

Guys looking to take on the challenge of learning follow through and how important it is.

Taking the challenge to become a better hunter and probably a better shot too.

There are several flintlock shooters still around in Tennessee and some are very good shooters.

And your right again most have at least a few gray hairs .....left.

Latest posts