When to start shooting the bow

catman529

I guess I should bring out a new target and start practicing the compound bow for deer season. Not too early or late, is it?

I got a few of the cheap carbon arrows I use. Hope they will last until Walmart re-stocks them, because Academy doesn't have any cheap carbon ones like walmart does. Academy has expensive packs of arrows and then cheap single aluminum arrows which I don't want.

So I guess it's time to start warming up. It is my goal to take a deer with the bow this season. I got the bow more than a year ago, so it's about time, lol.

Guess I will start practicing after June 10th when I get back from a week of vacation.

RobbyW

Well I am lucky that I have someone who loves to shoot. My 12 yo got his bow last winter and we shoot a lot. We play a game to make it more fun. Kind of like horse shoes. Closest to dead center gets a point, if you get two closer than the other you get two. Just makes it a little more interesting and when there is competition things are always fun

papaw

I am fortunate enough to be able to walk out my front door and shoot anytime I want so I get in alot of practice.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Cat- I know your budget is tight but cheap arrows equal cheap flight and that equals dissatisfaction with your bow. When that happens, you start tinkering. When you start tinkering, you start doubting everything including your form. When you doubt your form, you are on a road to sheer hades.

Get two or three good arrows, the kind you hunt with. Then, shoot at least five days a week, 5-10 arrows a day at different distances.

Never shoot when tired or mad. I think you will find the best bow shots, shoot regularly year-round. They may not shoot many arrows, myself, I preferred no more than 10 shots a day. But I shot almost every day. I never reached the point I could afford to not practice. But then, I only hunted with a bow for 30-plus years.

Trust me, it pays to practice regularly with the equipment you use to hunt. Just an arrow or six and put it up. Shoot twice, pull your arrows. Repeat three times and quit. BUT...always quit on a good shot.

richmanbarbeque

bowriter said:
Cat- I know your budget is tight but cheap arrows equal cheap flight and that equals dissatisfaction with your bow. When that happens, you start tinkering. When you start tinkering, you start doubting everything including your form. When you doubt your form, you are on a road to sheer hades.

Get two or three good arrows, the kind you hunt with. Then, shoot at least five days a week, 5-10 arrows a day at different distances.

Never shoot when tired or mad. I think you will find the best bow shots, shoot regularly year-round. They may not shoot many arrows, myself, I preferred no more than 10 shots a day. But I shot almost every day. I never reached the point I could afford to not practice. But then, I only hunted with a bow for 30-plus years.

Trust me, it pays to practice regularly with the equipment you use to hunt. Just an arrow or six and put it up. Shoot twice, pull your arrows. Repeat three times and quit. BUT...always quit on a good shot.

Good post.

ImThere

richmanbarbeque said:
bowriter said:

Good post.
X2 great post. I shoot more often right before turkey season and right before deer season but year round for me and if you look close the price per dz at walmart aint cheap at all

catman529

Thanks Bowriter for the good advice. 10 shots a day is nothing, I could do that even with a tight schedule, and it won't tire my arms too much to shoot. Ending on a good shot makes sense too.

Time to look at arrows and find some more bags to stuff into a box to make another target.

richmanbarbeque said:
bowriter said:

Good post.

x2

Boone 58

I have been going at it for over a month now me thinks......getting older and trying to shoot a few at least 5 of the 7 days per.
40 yards, 6 shot group.
ResizedImage_1338589371557.jpg

Latest posts