when in doubt, BBQ

catman529

I wasn't sure how to cook my first rabbit so I went with the tried and true and made a sammich on a potato roll. Pretty good

catman529

diamond hunter said:
Id love to know how you made this.
boiled the rabbit until meat fell off the bone. Pull all the meat and set aside, then heat up ingredients in skillet... Sautee finely chopped onions, then add ketchup, vinegar, molasses, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, liquid hickory smoke... Add a little water if it gets thick while cooking. Sorry no measurements

catman529

Poser said:
catman529 said:
diamond hunter said:
Id love to know how you made this.
boiled the rabbit until meat fell off the bone. Pull all the meat and set aside, then heat up ingredients in skillet... Sautee finely chopped onions, then add ketchup, vinegar, molasses, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, liquid hickory smoke... Add a little water if it gets thick while cooking. Sorry no measurements

Catman,

To be true to the word "BBQ", what you made doesn't really meet the definition. Barbecue is a cooking technique that involves smoke and indirect heat. To be accurate, I reckon I would call that a "Sauteed Rabbit." Many people do a very similar cooking technique when making anything with shredded meat (tacos, salads, etc.

While sauteing, you might try using stock (Chicken would be the most common, but Squirrel, rabbit, dove, duck etc stock would be even better. Actually, if you kept your water levels reasonably low, you could use the stock from where you boiled or pressure cooked the meat. you could cook that down some more to concentrate it and add some salt, garlic, white wine etc during the process) to keep it from getting too thick. That will richen up the flavor a bit more.
I wasn't going for exact terminology. When it's pulled meat covered in barbecue sauce, I call it barbecue

thetoolman

Man that looks good. I had the family over one night and made rabbit and dumplings. You should have saw the look on their faces after the pot was empty and I asked how they liked rabbit. :grin:

elkman

Poser said:
elkman said:
Looks like BBQ pulled rabbit to me

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but Barbecuing has been around for thousands of years and virtually every culture around the world has some tradition of it. The word has a definition that is fairly limiting in its parameters involving indirect heat and smoke. Stove top cooking and barbecuing are two different things entirely. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with what he did (well, except for using liquid smoke, the 9th deadly sin after not plucking game birds :D ), in fact, it looks very good. I am merely saying that stove top cooking is not "Barbecuing." Hey, I live in Memphis, we tend to take this subject seriously :)

Barbecue is a method and apparatus for cooking food (generally meat). In the United States, to grill is to cook meat relatively quickly using the direct heat imparted by a charcoal or propane fire, while barbecue is a much slower method utilizing the indirect heat imparted by the smoke of a wood-fueled fire (and tended to over an extended period of several hours).

While there is a vast degree of variation and overlap in terminology and method surrounding this form of cooking, the generally accepted difference between barbecue and grilling is in the cooking time and the type of heat used: grilling is generally done "hot and fast" over direct heat from low-smoke fuels (with the flame contacting the meat itself), while barbecuing is usually done "low and slow" over indirect heat from high-smoke fuels (with the flame not contacting the meat directly).

The term as a noun can refer to the meat or to the cooking apparatus itself (the "barbecue grill" or simply "barbecue"). The term as an adjective can refer to foods cooked by this method. The term is also used as a verb for the act of cooking food in this manner. Barbecue is usually done in an outdoor environment by cooking and smoking the meat over wood or charcoal. Restaurant barbecue may be cooked in large brick or metal ovens specially designed for that purpose.

not trying to argue either. just making a simple statement :D

Latest posts