Food Plots What will grow in the shade

51 pointer

I've never ever planted anything much less a food plot, however I am curious what will grow in the shade or in the woods? And would be easy plant, grow in poor soil and attract deer?

Thoughts?

CATCHDAWG

I bought a blend last year from Cabelas called "seclusion". It did pretty good with little dirt work and was pretty much in the woods. Don't remember what all was in it but I would buy it again if I needed it.

woodsman87

Everything needs sunlight to create photosynthesis, just some not as much as others. Don't know of anything that grows in almost full shade.

AT Hiker

If you could explain the situation a little better we might be able to help. For example, the spot you want to plant does it have thick underbrush or is it a typical forest floor with leaf litter? If its the later than its gonna be tough to grow much of anything, so you might need to open the canopy a bit. Simply cutting down some of your less desirable trees would help. If you have a lot of maple in that area you could cut them down to open up the area and allow your oaks to flourish at the same time.

51 pointer

I'm clearing out a spot tomorrow with a bobcat, moving lots of dead fall and small trees my DRMower can cut, this is for an area I hope to just use as an observation stand, I've never hunted over anything I planted.....I've actually never planted anything but if I clear it I may throw wheat out mixed with some clover I guess, any magic seeds out there?

southernhunter

I planted some throw and grow extreme . In a almost full shade spot.it did ok. Never been a fan but according to the trail cam the deer like it

BSK

Nothing does well in shade, but remember trees will lose their leaves in early November. Grazing rye or wheat will do well just about anywhere once the leaves are off. And in a small, now-shaded areas with little ground prep, I would recommend grain rye.

southernhunter

I took a short clip of my bow plot today ill try to post . it's in full shade And looks good . It's a mixture of winter rye ,winter wheat and a bag of throw in grow . Best thing is I am greeting lots of pics off it with the trail cam

Boone 58

some shade is good, most is not, but clover thrives in partial because the sun cant burn it as badly. My choice is wheat and clover and wheat does well in pind clearings and always favors some shade in the winter...........at least if produces. Photos below.....

G_Man

I have a similar situation... Partial sunlight in the woods. I'm gonna get some winter wheat and rye, try to turn the ground a little with a blade, Lyme it well and sow it before the leaves fall. I'll post pictures when it's all said and done. Hoping it'll work out

Latest posts