Food Plots What to plant?

rem270

On my place we have 2 decent size clover plots that are producing really well.

I am wanting to do 2 more food plots, possibly 3 next year. But i don't know what to plant. Probably something to focus on for late season food. Winter peas, turnips, or what do you think?

It won't be this season. It will be next season before i put some new plots in. We have a tractor, tiller and disc to use so have the means to plant about anything. I just don't know what is the best.

The property is all woods and CRP fields with crops surrounding it on 3 sides.

Hunter 257W

Rather than a single plant I prefer a mix so there is variety. Variety helps you in two ways. First, it gives deer more plants to chose from - odds are greater they will like at least one and therefore actually use the plot. Second, it increases your odds of growing a good plot. The weather or conditions will always favor some plants more than others. You can't control the weather so why not plant a mix so that you have at least one or two plants that favors any possible condition the weather throws at you?

My favorite Spring/Summer planting is the Pennington seed co. Spring/Summer deer mix. It grows 6 feet tall and once established deer can't make a dent in it plus they bed in the stuff.

http://www.pennington.com/pc-_16-pd-_82

turf08

If you have good soil drainage I recommend planting alfalfa. I was like you this year I wanted to plant several things and see for myself what the deer in my area prefer. Ive got three plots done this year. One in pennington seeds that is a mixture of peas, oats, brassicas, clover, and turnips. The 2nd one I planted in whitetail institute clover, oats, wheat, turnips, and radishes. The 3rd one was exactly the same as the second one except I planted a 1/4 acre in alfalfa. I went and checked them all the other day and all look great except the alfalfa. The deer are mowing it down faster than it can grow. When i went it was 2 days after the last rain we had and you could not step without stepping on deer tracks. This spring Im going to disk up all three plots and reseed the entire plots in alfalfa.

Latest posts