What to plant on shaded logging roads for erosion control / food

JCDEERMAN

We are having a lot of work done on our property and a lot of that consists of new roads. These roads will mostly be in the bottoms in the woods (heavily shaded). Looking for something that is very resistant to erosion, while providing some benefit to deer and turkeys....preferably a perennial. This may mean some type of native grasses, which I've never planted. Not looking for simply something that will grow anywhere (wheat, cereal rye, etc.....). We are talking about a 3-4 mile road system. Thanks in advance!

I'm ok with a perennial clover, if it will withstand the shade. Dutch white possibly?

Last edited:

nwsg76

Do your self a favor and "daylight" or "edge feather" your road network by removing trees along the road. Give your roads light so that you can keep a desired vegetation year round. If your not getting light to the floor don't expect much to grow except undesirable species such as microstegium.

BSK

Honestly, JCDEERMAN, I've seen many things tried, but nothing will grow well in the shade that is beneficial to deer. The only thing I've seen work well as an erosion control plant in shaded environments is the much dreaded perennial ryegrass.

JCDEERMAN

Do your self a favor and "daylight" or "edge feather" your road network by removing trees along the road. Give your roads light so that you can keep a desired vegetation year round. If your not getting light to the floor don't expect much to grow except undesirable species such as microstegium.
That's a very viable option. We may try girdling all the less desirable trees parallel with the roads. About 1/2 of these roads will get some sun, as they are adjacent to our burn areas - these roads will serve as better access and for fire breaks. The other 1/2 distance of the roads will need attention. Thanks for pointing that option out!

JCDEERMAN

Honestly, JCDEERMAN, I've seen many things tried, but nothing will grow well in the shade that is beneficial to deer. The only thing I've seen work well as an erosion control plant in shaded environments is the much dreaded perennial ryegrass.
I did consider that, but wiped that off the drawing board after seeing how johnson grass got established. We let a neighbor borrow our tractor and bush hog to cut some of his fields. We then used it on our fields and all of a sudden johnson grass started appearing everywhere (we had never had it before). We suspect all the seed heads got onto our bush hog and then we essentially seeded our fields. Now, anytime someone borrows it, we pressure wash it off before use. We do not want any invasives!

If we can open it up to allow some sunlight to hit the ground, would you have any suggestions then?

Boll Weevil

No pre-seeding necessary; get old round bales and roll'em out on your roads. Unless the bales came from a cultivated monoculture stand managed specifically for hay (fescue, timothy, orchardgrass, alfalfa) it's probably just a mish-mash of whatever grasses are native to your area. In my case that's redtop, bluestem, broomsedge et al.

It's ugly for a year but works great as erosion control, ground cover, and will sprout in whatever is native for the area. Oh, and generally it's free as cattlemen almost always have some old leftover bales they're looking to get rid of before haying season.

WanderingNomad

I used this for a opening in the woods I hunt and so far it is coming nicely..

Conservation Shade Mix - ERNMX-129
30.00 %Festuca rubra Creeping Red Fescue
30.00 %Festuca rubra ssp. commutata Chewings Fescue
20.00 %Lolium multiflorum Annual Ryegrass
10.00 %Poa pratensis, Appalachian Kentucky Bluegrass, Appalachian
10.00 %Poa trivialis Rough Bluegrass

100.00 %Mix Price/lb Bulk:$3.11
Seeding Rate:100-200 lb per acre, or 3-5 lb per 1,000 sq ft
Lawn & Turfgrass Sites
While designed for deep-shaded areas, this mix requires at least 2 hours of sunlight daily. The fescues and bluegrasses are shade tolerant and blend very well together. Mix formulations are subject to change without notice depending on the availability of existing and new products. Price quotes guaranteed for 30 days.All prices are FOB Meadville, PA.Please check our web site at www.ernstseed.comfor current pricing when placing orders.Ernst Conservation Seeds8884 Mercer PikeMeadville, PA 16335(800) 873-3321 Fax (814)

scn

I used this for a opening in the woods I hunt and so far it is coming nicely..

Conservation Shade Mix - ERNMX-129
30.00 %Festuca rubra Creeping Red Fescue
30.00 %Festuca rubra ssp. commutata Chewings Fescue
20.00 %Lolium multiflorum Annual Ryegrass
10.00 %Poa pratensis, Appalachian Kentucky Bluegrass, Appalachian
10.00 %Poa trivialis Rough Bluegrass

100.00 %Mix Price/lb Bulk:$3.11
Seeding Rate:100-200 lb per acre, or 3-5 lb per 1,000 sq ft
Lawn & Turfgrass Sites
While designed for deep-shaded areas, this mix requires at least 2 hours of sunlight daily. The fescues and bluegrasses are shade tolerant and blend very well together. Mix formulations are subject to change without notice depending on the availability of existing and new products. Price quotes guaranteed for 30 days.All prices are FOB Meadville, PA.Please check our web site at www.ernstseed.comfor current pricing when placing orders.Ernst Conservation Seeds8884 Mercer PikeMeadville, PA 16335(800) 873-3321 Fax (814)
Fescue is great for erosion control, but is likely worse than worthless for a wildlife planting. For most wildlife managers, the goal is to eradicate as much fescue on their lands that they can.

slicksbeagles1

Call Roundstone Native Seed And tell them what you are trying to do. They are good people, located in Kentucky. (270) 531-3034 ask for Jeremy if he is not available they have someone that can answer all your questions if you have to leave a message and they will call you back.

bobbuck

Call Roundstone Native Seed And tell them what you are trying to do. They are good people, located in Kentucky. (270) 531-3034 ask for Jeremy if he is not available they have someone that can answer all your questions if you have to leave a message and they will call you back.
I used these folks when we planted NWS grasses on our place. They are good to work with for sure.

JCDEERMAN

I'll check them out - thanks!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
absolutely daylight. It will also help dry up wet areas.

Japanese bamboo grass is a big problem

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have an order coming from them now. The southern deer blend. Putting 16 acres in this june.

They have a website and a catalogue which has a ton of info.

Latest posts