What time to be in woods sat

de novo

Andy S. said:
de novo said:
I saw two toms fly down at 632. A group of twenty or so hens hit the ground right in front of my truck at 642.
Good info. Did they fly down into a field (typically lighter earlier) or into big woods (typically lighter later)? There is usually a difference in the two, maybe not much, but some.

The hens flew down in open pasture land on the side of a large hill and worked down hill. The toms flew down into the woods earlier and walked right to the hens' trees 60 yds away and gobbled under them. The toms followed them out into the pasture.

My plan was to pull off the dirt road and glass up the hill where I usually see the big gobblers. I was getting concerned when the hens were going crazy at daylight but no gobblers. Finally one gobbled literally 20 yds from my truck and I was able to see 3 toms nervously sitting in the tree. They flew down and went straight away from me.

Funny thing is opening morning 2012 I was sitting right where the turkeys walked past today. And of course all the birds stayed up the hill last year.

93civEJ1

how did you guys choose your public land spot? I may have to hit public this year with my second year, but have no idea where to go look.

Latest posts