What temp?

Omega

At what temp do you crank on the heat in your stand? I'm sitting here at 50, outside 47, and seriously considering busting out the portable buddy. I'm getting to be such a wuss. Last couple years my feet have started getting cold, especially at night, they used to be real warm, so I think my circulation is a bit off, though doc says I'm ok. I'm thinking it's because I have a heater available, otherwise I may have dressed a little warmer and it probably wouldn't be bugging me.

Pic IN the Casa

When my son was nine, we hunted from a 2 man stand for a couple of days when it was 11 degrees. I tied a Mr Buddy to the shooting rail and that was alright with both of us.

I just bought some heated clothing from Tidewe. I will give yall a review at the duck season halfway point. Just got tired of being cold and/or so many layers it was stupid.

Last edited:

MUP

In all honesty, if I did have a shooting house of some sort, I'd turn the heat on to keep from getting too cold. But otoh, I've always felt that it was part of the hunting experience to weather the cold and see how long I could last up in a tree. Counting the minutes and telling myself "just 30 more minutes and I'll come down" 3 or 4 times before finally giving in and coming down. 😁

backyardtndeer

They ain't no heat in a tree stand! 😀
Yep. I do have one canvas wrapped home made steel stand that might hold a little heat from a buddy heater, but wouldn't be anywhere to put the heater. My son would probably accidently kick it out of the stand. I used to tolerate the cold a lot better than I do now. The medicines I am on for my heart probably don't help. Even still, I am usually ok down under freezing if there is no significant wind.

I believe that sometime after season is over I am going to pull down the one and only box blind I have, and overhaul it before next season. I need a better setup for my son.

Snake

Was going to build some sort of shooting house where I put up that last double stand because the tree has four trunks but I fell putting up the stand and ain't had the heart to do it . Did get the stand up bleeding and all but hadn't did anything else to it . If it gets too cold I'll just stay home 😁

MUP

Same here, hunt out of a treestand, (hangon).
76 years old, do t k ow how many years I'll be doing this.
You give me hope friend! Loc ons is all I've ever hunted from since the early years of using a climber, and I would take my daughter's to hunt from two man ladder stands, but a loc on is my preference and bare essentials. 👍

agelessssone

You give me hope friend! Loc ons is all I've ever hunted from since the early years of using a climber, and I would take my daughter's to hunt from two man ladder stands, but a loc on is my preference and bare essentials. 👍
My stand has a seat but I never sit down. I want to be able to see 360°
Standing, I can see 270°, to see totally rearward, I'll slowly shift my feet and face backwards. 90% of the time, I can use the tree as a shooting rest.
Very rarely have to take a freehand shot.

MUP

My stand has a seat but I never sit down. I want to be able to see 360°
Standing, I can see 270°, to see totally rearward, I'll slowly shift my feet and face backwards. 90% of the time, I can use the tree as a shooting rest.
Very rarely have to take a freehand shot.
Sounds very familiar! I do sit tho, and shift on that little seat and twist my head around to almost see 360. That makes for a sore neck and shoulders tho. ;)