What % of big deer that you see killed

Bushape

come from private land (non hunting club) vs leased land?? Wildlife management areas excluded.

Ski

I've never really thought about it in that way. Most of my best bucks came from my own ground or other private ground I had exclusive rights to. My biggest buck ever came from public. I have no experience leasing or hunting leased land, but my BIL shares a lease with several friends of his and while they get plenty pics of big bucks, I don't know that any of them have killed one.

DTM

50% on large tract leases with multiple members and 50% private farms/personal farms. On large leases, you almost have to treat it like public land and hunt where no one else will go because that's where the deer will be. Majority of the mature deer I've killed from large leases I've killed in the deepest thickest holler that I've hunted only once or twice per season. With all the traffic on the main roads in and out, the deer completely evacuate the entire area when they hear a four wheeler or side by side turn off because they know someone is going to be hunting in that general location. The only time large bucks are killed in the "usual" spots are during rut and only 1 or 2 mature bucks will be harvested in those 2 weeks and that's between 12 die hard deer hunters on 3000+ acres.

DeerMan66

All of my biggest TN bucks have came off leased land with multiple members. I agree with DTM. Hunt where no one else is willing to go. Either long walks in or thickets or both.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
My biggest 2 came off land that several families could hunt. The majority of mine have came off leases with 12-25 members.

Latest posts