what is your rut predictions for east TN

BSK

pseshooter300 said:
Why is the rut so much diferent here far east tn?

Natural Selection will cause peak breeding to occur in each location around the conception dates which will produce fawning dates in late spring and early summer that maximize fawn survival rates. The fawn birthing dates that maximize fawn survival will be different for different locations/situations. Now exactly why fawn survival is best at different times in different locations is the question that really hasn't been answered yet.

Snake

I think (actually, I know) the timing of the full moon has nothing to do with the timing of the rut. Peak breeding will occur in each given location within a day or two of the same time it did last year.

Now when hunters actually see the most rutting activity during daylight is a completely different matter, and the weather will play the greatest influence on that. Of all the different influences on daylight deer activity that exist (and there are many), I would place moon conditions as the least important.
Doggone BSK good to hear from you bud !! Missed the heck out of you brother . Welcome back brother . Oh I feel silly didn't realize this was an old thread , getting old ..........

Last edited:

BSK

Wow, that quoted post was from a LONG time ago! But I stand behind what I said then. In each given location, peak breeding occurs on or about the same dates each year. However, when hunters see the most rut activity is driven by many factors, most notably, the weather. Sudden cold snaps allow activity that normally would have occurred at night to take place during daylight hours, when hunters will see it. This is especially true when we've been experiencing a long warm spell.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Wow, that quoted post was from a LONG time ago! But I stand behind what I said then. In each given location, peak breeding occurs on or about the same dates each year. However, when hunters see the most rut activity is driven by many factors, most notably, the weather. Sudden cold snaps allow activity that normally would have occurred at night to take place during daylight hours, when hunters will see it. This is especially true when we've been experiencing a long warm spell.
:Do_O Welcome back!!! Glad to see you posting again!

T. J. Mercer

Old thread, but still worth reading.
I think this short article a friend just shared with me aligns with what BSK is espousing.

MUP

Case in point, the huge very old buck that I saw in bow season during that very cold Saturday. I've never seen a mature buck that time of year out on my place even, but knowing he was there got the blood pumping for sure. Too bad I missed him Sat morning. :(

Volbuck777

Rut is here, I've watched 5 bucks chase does by me this morning. If it's not dead on us it sure is close. Where I hunt you're lucky to see deer every other time your hunting, so to see 13 this morning, tells me all I need to know.

Realtree56

I live in western Blount county I have seen chasing over the years anywhere from November 14 til December 5.... not a trickle, I usually see intense activity for a few days and that's it but it can be anywhere in that nearly month long period in a given year... makes it very frustrating to schedule the right vacation time from work... I'm hunting small wood lots surrounded by cow pastures and subdivisions though, I think that has something to do with it being so sporadic every year. Definitely still in the pre rut here now, gonna head out to Henderson county for the next 4 days and hope there's more activity out there.

BSK

Let me add one caveat to my earlier post. Delayed breeding has been documented in southern deer when herd health is below average. This most often occurs in acorn-driven deer herds (deer populations that rely heavily on acorns as their primary fall food source) during a poor acorn year. From my observations in the MidSouth, a poor acorn year - or total acorn failure - may be able to delay breeding by up to 5-10 days. I do believe I am observing this in areas where I collect most of my data (western Middle TN) this year. Acorn crops are spotty in that region, and from what I'm seeing on black-flash video cameras, hard-core chasing appears to be a bit late this year (about 5 days).

The most dramatic case of delayed breeding I believe I've observed in my region was during the severe EHD outbreak of 2007. So many deer were left unhealthy from fighting off the disease that peak breeding appeared (from night-time trail-cam picture data) to be delayed about two weeks.

DoubleRidge

Let me add one caveat to my earlier post. Delayed breeding has been documented in southern deer when herd health is below average. This most often occurs in acorn-driven deer herds (deer populations that rely heavily on acorns as their primary fall food source) during a poor acorn year. From my observations in the MidSouth, a poor acorn year - or total acorn failure - may be able to delay breeding by up to 5-10 days. I do believe I am observing this in areas where I collect most of my data (western Middle TN) this year. Acorn crops are spotty in that region, and from what I'm seeing on black-flash video cameras, hard-core chasing appears to be a bit late this year (about 5 days).

The most dramatic case of delayed breeding I believe I've observed in my region was during the severe EHD outbreak of 2007. So many deer were left unhealthy from fighting off the disease that peak breeding appeared (from night-time trail-cam picture data) to be delayed about two weeks.
Very interesting read....thanks for sharing.

1jamey

Rut is definitely here in Hawkins County. I saw the craziest thing this morning a 7 pointer chasing a doe all around me in and out of sight for 10 mins or so. She came around the edge of my pond and literally dove in and started swimming. He put 2 feet in but didn't go in came back along the side made a scrape and stalked her around the pond. She got out and run off with him chasing. It may be something a lot of people have seen but it was a 1st for me. I absolutely love being in the woods this time of year.

DRSJ35

Glad your back BSK good info

Greenbuck

Rut is going in Loudon and Blount County. I shot a 6 point yesterday morning and had a 4 point chasing a doe come by me at 7:15. The last 15 years I've seen lots of deer movement with bucks I've not seen before around Nov 25th.
4FC0F9B1-A44D-4602-A8F9-ECF8B42BF8F4.jpeg

Latest posts