What Is the Best Way ?

stik

lay the spool flat on the floor. after several cranks on the reel, lower rod tip towards spool. if line twists, flip spool over. if it dont twist, continue reeling.

Winchester

If its a spinning reel, its best to reel it off the spool with the spool turning! What stik just described is the best way to put line on a baitcasting reel!

Oldschool

I always lay the spool on the floor and make sure the line comes off the spool counter-clockwise. Everybody, has there on way.

stik

Winchester said:
If its a spinning reel, its best to reel it off the spool with the spool turning! What stik just described is the best way to put line on a baitcasting reel!

you have that backwards. every rotation of the bail puts a twist in the line.line coming off the side of the spool counters this twist. if you try to spool a baitcaster without the spool rotating, every time the line comes off the side of the spool, it will have a twist.

Model70Man

Lay the spool on the floor with the sticker sign side facing up.

That's what Bill Dance said to do on a fishing show I was watching several years ago. Have never had a problem since.

tennoutdrsman

"If you are in a boat and your line starts getting real twisted, cut off the lure and put the boat in gear, open the bail and let line pull off with the friction of the water, let most all of it out and idle along a minute or so. Then reel line back on and twisting is removed."
Thats my theory..it's failsafe..

bowriter

R.I.P.
What Stik said with one addendum. Soak the line in cold water for a minute or so before reeling. Winchester has it backwards. Line twist comes from line memory. If the line spool is free turning, the memory will match the reel-baitcasting. To get the same line memory for spinning reel, the line must come off the bulk spool in a twist that matches the reel.

Easiest way to understand it is coil a rope or a garden hose. You'll not that you must twist the or "flip" the rope or hose on every coil to make it match the memory.

90% of the time, lay the bulk spool on the floor with the label up. Reel in a couple dozen times. If the line twists around the end of the rod, turn the bulk spool over.

But best of all is to throw the bulk spool in a swimming pool, mix a drink. Now fill the reel. The line cannot twist if it has no lure on the end is coming through water. Once the reel is full, open the bail and back off 100 yards and stretch the line by simply tying off the free end and pulling on it. Then mix another drink and reel it in.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Doc-I fish mostly 4 and 6 pound line. I change line about once every three days, sometimes every day. 10# line and up, it doesn't matter. The water helps keep the line from twisting as you put it on a spinning reel. I don't use casting reels. It also makes it easy to remove the residue by simply reeling line through a damp paper towell.

Lots of little tricks that can be learned when using the light lines that don't matter if you are using well rope. I buy my line in mile long spools, (yes, I am serious; 5,000 yards at a time). I store it in a freezer. I have a spool of 4# Sigma line I bought in 1984 and it is still perfect. I usually get my line free these days and give everything over 8# away. I have three rods that have 10-12# line for fishing the timber in AL. I keep one spool of 10 and one of 12 for those rods. Everything else is either 4 or six.

I guess through the years I have experimented with just about every brand and type of line made. Like most outdoor writers, I get sent a ton of it every year. The braid never even gets opened, just thrown away. There are only three brands or tradenames I use regularly and no, I won't say which ones. Most anglers don't realize that many of the brands are made by the same company, are the same line and just have a different label.

Hope I have been of service. If you fish light line on a spinning reel, try putting the line spool in a bucket of water as you reel it on. Just don't put it in the freezer afterwards :)

bowriter

R.I.P.
Doesn't everybody have a freezer door like this ?

Forum-1-16.jpg

bowriter

R.I.P.
Doesn't everybody have a freezer door like this ?

Forum-1-16.jpg

This is 6,030 yards of line. I think I bought it for less than $25. Do the math-that's over three miles of line for about 7 cents a foot. Now consider you put maybe 75 feet of line on your reel at a time, that is about the cost of a good burp.

forum2-19.jpg

On second thought, forget my figures, you do the math for yourself. For me it comes out to about a buck a year.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Doc-consider this. If you keep the line in the freezer, it stiffens. Stiff line does not twist when going on a reel. Then it thaws and is a little more limp when used. Desirable with light line. Also, when kept in a freezer, no need to soak it in water.

Try it. You might be surprised at the difference.

"If you just use a reel every month or so, then yea sure,it builds memory and coils bad and will require changing more often. But if you use them every week they will do fine."

Might agree to some extent but not completely since the line comes off the bulk with memory. Also when I was fishing 6-7 days a week, true the twist was not such a factor but the line deteriation was. In the heat of the summer, a rod laying on top the rod locker would have weak spots in the line after one day.

However, one rule always rules. If it suits you, don't change a thing. :) As for me, I like fishing new line. If I have a 7# smallie on the end of my string, I want to have confidence in my string.

Four pound test. 30 plus pound fish. I like new string.

LIGHTTACKLE1-1.jpg

MFBAB

Another thing I found that helps a ton with spinning reels and line memory problems is the KVD line conditioner, especially with flouro line.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Dr. Dickel said:
Dr. Dickel said:
bowriter said:
Don't fret though.......I know the difference between a Barnum & Baileys circus from the Ripley's show. :whistle:
Let me re-iterate that statement before I sign off to vacate for the next 10 days and fish most all of it......one is a sales pitch and the other is purely BS. ;)

Which is exactly why I quit using braided line. It doesn't stretch.

Coach

bowriter said:
What Stik said with one addendum. Soak the line in cold water for a minute or so before reeling. Winchester has it backwards. Line twist comes from line memory. If the line spool is free turning, the memory will match the reel-baitcasting. To get the same line memory for spinning reel, the line must come off the bulk spool in a twist that matches the reel.

Easiest way to understand it is coil a rope or a garden hose. You'll not that you must twist the or "flip" the rope or hose on every coil to make it match the memory.

90% of the time, lay the bulk spool on the floor with the label up. Reel in a couple dozen times. If the line twists around the end of the rod, turn the bulk spool over.

But best of all is to throw the bulk spool in a swimming pool, mix a drink. Now fill the reel. The line cannot twist if it has no lure on the end is coming through water. Once the reel is full, open the bail and back off 100 yards and stretch the line by simply tying off the free end and pulling on it. Then mix another drink and reel it in.

Just don't have that third drink or you'll be mixing your line and reeling your drink...or so I've been told :whistle:

bowriter

R.I.P.
And just who among us has not reeled a drink?

BTW- I didn't say that was wrong, just not the best way. That method was suggested for baitcasting reels back before people figured out there was a difference. Just look at the way line comes off a bulk spool and the way line off a spinning reel.

Match the hatch and use very light ice when drinking Grey Goose.

Coach

bowriter said:
And just who among us has not reeled a drink?

BTW- I didn't say that was wrong, just not the best way. That method was suggested for baitcasting reels back before people figured out there was a difference. Just look at the way line comes off a bulk spool and the way line off a spinning reel.

Match the hatch and use very light ice when drinking Grey Goose.

Ha! Good advice right there..

Latest posts