What gets coyotes riled up?

LanceS4803

Tonight I was leaving my blind when I heard all hell break loose with coyotes.
They were about 300yds away in a ravine and it sounded liked there were about 2 dozen. Young and old. Yipping, barking, howling. The sound was incredible! It would raise, then fall off.
3 coyotes on the other side of the valley howled just a little, then stopped.
After this went on for about 5 minutes (long enough to call my wife and let her listen), it went totally silent.
So, any ideas on what was going on?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I think sometimes they come out of their dens in the evening and just go crazy with the excitement of the evenings hunt. :D

I heard exactly what you described back during muzzleloader season. Pretty cool.

pressfit

they do it for a couple of reasons.. one is to let the other packs in the area know where they are and to stay away.. the other is to kinda round up all the members of their pack before they go on the nights prowl..

CATCHDAWG

pressfit said:
they do it for a couple of reasons.. one is to let the other packs in the area know where they are and to stay away.. the other is to kinda round up all the members of their pack before they go on the nights prowl..
I agree with the second part of this statement. They are what I call "congregation howls" and are really cool to hear late in the evening! :cool:

redblood

they are locating each other. people usually vastly overestimate the number of coyotes in these vocal communities.rarely is there more than 3 or 4 in each group. a single coyote can make 5 or 6 different vocalizations in each howling sequence.

redblood

CATCHDAWG said:
pressfit said:
I agree with the second part of this statement. They are what I call "congregation howls" and are really cool to hear late in the evening! :cool:

while that is true, new research indicates that eastern yotes do not pack to the same extent as their western cousins. breeding pairs are forming ahead of breeding season currently. they should be very vocal for the next 3 to 4 weeks ahead of peak mating.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
redblood said:
CATCHDAWG said:
pressfit said:

while that is true, new research indicates that eastern yotes do not pack to the same extent as their western cousins. breeding pairs are forming ahead of breeding season currently. they should be very vocal for the next 3 to 4 weeks ahead of peak mating.
I can count on one hand how many times I have seen more than two coyotes together!!!!

redblood

we have groups of more than three justa handful for times. i can recall an rare instance when me, blue5 and the one, called 7 to a set in eastern marshall county in a snow covered field and killed none of them, lol. it was bloopers rel for sure.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Most I have ever seen was during muzzleloader season last year in KY.
We had five come through the food plot. :eek:

I am about ready to head up there and hunt. :D

LanceS4803

redblood said:
they are locating each other. people usually vastly overestimate the number of coyotes in these vocal communities.rarely is there more than 3 or 4 in each group. a single coyote can make 5 or 6 different vocalizations in each howling sequence.

They could have fooled me!
I know coyotes don't attack humans, but I tried not to think of the game camera photos showing the coyotes taking down the mature buck.
If you let your mind get away from you, it can freak you out.
Thanks for all the info. I really need to try coyote hunting this winter. I have game cam pictures of some beautiful dogs, black and red.

de novo

CATCHDAWG said:
They are what I call "congregation howls" and are really cool to hear late in the evening! :cool:

They are not cool if the howling is between you and your 4 wheeler after dark. :eek:

moondawg

I heard some one evening as I was leaving the stand. Sounded like they were fairly close by, but I knew their sounds could be deceiving. I knew they were more scared of humans than humans are of yotes. Especially since this human is called Moondawg. :D

To shut em up, I simply fired one round in the ground, thinking that would scare them off. Nope. They kept howling and yipping. I just walked back to the house...looking back ocassionally.

dh1984

RUGER said:
I think sometimes they come out of their dens in the evening and just go crazy with the excitement of the evenings hunt. :D

I heard exactly what you described back during muzzleloader season. Pretty cool.

i heard the same thing muzzleloader season. i had a guy that wanted them killed out but now he like he's too good to let anyone hunt them now.

We use to be friends until he accused me stealing stuff for his farm and we had a big knock out drag out. Now he found out who was really stealing stuff and he came by the house and everything trying to get me to work with him and everything but i told him to get lost and not come back to my house.

plinker22

When I first started hunting, I did not like this sound at all. I agree, these groups sound like 15 or 20 'yotes when they start sounding off. Probably much smaller.

I now enjoy listening to them during these vocalizations. Browtines and I heard this three times on one of our Ohio hunts this Winter.

I have recorded several of these episodes and I enjoy playing them for folks. Freaks some of them out. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Mike Belt

A few will sound lot a bunch. I used to deer hunt Benton County. I've seen some of the biggest, prettiest coyotes that Tn has to offer there. Some were as big and healthy as big German Sheperds. I used to sit around the campfire at night and listen to them run deer. When and if they ever caught one the fight was on between themselves. They made some racket.

One afternoon Wildcat and I quit deer hunting early just to set up for coyotes before sunset. We set up in a section of timber between a farm field and a ditch with solid timber on the other side of the ditch and we turned the player on. Within minutes we had a pack of coyotes surrounding the section of timber we were in. They were all along the edge of the field and they all began howling at us. It was neat but very eerie. We sat there until after dark. Once it got dark from on the other side of the ditch (opposite from where the coyotes were sitting and howling at us) coyotes poured in on us. There were 12-14 of them and they came within feet of us. That was really eerie!

Bowdacious

de novo said:
CATCHDAWG said:
They are what I call "congregation howls" and are really cool to hear late in the evening! :cool:

They are not cool if the howling is between you and your 4 wheeler after dark. :eek:
I heard that! The first time I heard them all go off like that, I was headed away from camp in the dark to go find the "bathroom" area. Yotes started going nuts pretty close and I turned around and went by the truck. I was NOT wandering off toward them.

Latest posts