Dog living with Coyotes

Omega

Thoughts? How many would have treated him as a coyote and how many would have tried a rescue? Yea, I know the breed (probably why he survived), but take that out of the equation.

BPhunter

I think it's fantastic they rescued him. With the injuries he had, he obviously would not have lived long.

Would I take in a Pit? No they earned the reputation they have. But I have a 100lb Doberman and many feel the same way about them.
They didn't earn the reputation, rotten humans created that senario! I've had 3 pits so far. Wife has had yorkies, and still has some. The yorkies will play with the pits, sleep with them, and generally hang out with them. When company comes over, they will literally lick them half to death. Any dog characteristic is the result of it's owner. One day the pit(Rockie) comes in to the living room with the Yorkie hanging on his neck, looks at me like, "would you get this thing off me please". Another time I came to the back patio and there is the pit laying in the sun, and a cat sleeping with him and her head in his mouth....both sleeping.

DaveTN

They didn't earn the reputation, rotten humans created that senario! I've had 3 pits so far. Wife has had yorkies, and still has some. The yorkies will play with the pits, sleep with them, and generally hang out with them. When company comes over, they will literally lick them half to death. Any dog characteristic is the result of it's owner. One day the pit(Rockie) comes in to the living room with the Yorkie hanging on his neck, looks at me like, "would you get this thing off me please". Another time I came to the back patio and there is the pit laying in the sun, and a cat sleeping with him and her head in his mouth....both sleeping.
Absolutely people caused it. The fact that you have pits that haven't hurt you or a family member yet, or that my Doberman hasn't bit anyone, doesn't mean they wouldn't.

Pit bull, Rottweiler, German shepherd, Doberman Pinscher and others have all earned their reputation and their places in dog bites and fatalities. So certainly, they earned their reputation; It's not made up.

Many of the small dogs are far more prone to bite. But they don't make the news for killing someone when they do.

BPhunter

Absolutely people caused it. The fact that you have pits that haven't hurt you or a family member yet, or that my Doberman hasn't bit anyone, doesn't mean they wouldn't.

Pit bull, Rottweiler, German shepherd, Doberman Pinscher and others have all earned their reputation and their places in dog bites and fatalities. So certainly, they earned their reputation; It's not made up.

Many of the small dogs are far more prone to bite. But they don't make the news for killing someone when they do.
I guess we can also relate that to chihuahuas, yorkies, any type terrier, guinea pig, rabbits, I could keep going. But, any animal that feels threatened will bite. We take the pit for walks in stores where aloud, Tractor supply, Big R, Petco, loves to be around people. Again, and I'm through debating this, the owner of any dog or animal creates that dogs demeanor and reputation. Like children, they learn what they are taught.

DaveTN

I guess we can also relate that to chihuahuas, yorkies, any type terrier, guinea pig, rabbits, I could keep going. But, any animal that feels threatened will bite. We take the pit for walks in stores where aloud, Tractor supply, Big R, Petco, loves to be around people. Again, and I'm through debating this, the owner of any dog or animal creates that dogs demeanor and reputation. Like children, they learn what they are taught.
I'm not debating it. I'm agreeing with you. People cause it. I don't make up the statistics or the stories we continually see on the rate people cause it at, with any given breed.

BPhunter

I'm not debating it. I'm agreeing with you. People cause it. I don't make up the statistics or the stories we continually see on the rate people cause it at, with any given breed.
Have a great day and weekend Dave.....been through TN years back, beautiful country, hope it hasn't changed much.

backyardtndeer

Many here are not so fond of pit bull dogs. Some have even said they should be banned. It is difficult to even have a conversation about the difference between pit bulls and pit bull type dogs. It is unfortunate that bad dogs kill people, regardless of the breed.

As to the dog in the video, I have seen a male lab mix running with a female coyote before on my property.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Looks to be an English bully to me or maybe a cross. They are just big ole stupid goofy mutts.

Y'all are right that the American pit bull and its crosses are man made. That does not make them innocent. There are plenty of news stories every year of beloved and trusted pets killing a child, a neighbor, a friend. There is an 85% chance we can guess the breed correctly every time. I also agree with you that it's not a time to argue about any of it.
We can quote statistics all night, does not matter, there will never be an end to the excuses. It's too easy to group all together and just blame the stupid humans
Just chip all dogs make the owners 1000% responsible criminally and financially.

James72

I think it's fantastic they rescued him. With the injuries he had, he obviously would not have lived long.

Would I take in a Pit? No they earned the reputation they have. But I have a 100lb Doberman and many feel the same way about them.
I felt the smae way 10 years ago when we took one in as a rescue but it's been the best dog I've ever had. They are just like any other dog and will behave like they have been trained / treated.

SALTMAN

dogs are animals , something inherited from ages back , can trigger an attack . No rhyme or reason can be explained . It is a Fact pits are more triggered than most breeds . Fact .
my lab will lick you to death , but I keep an eye on him around my great grandchildren .
when I was growing up we had a pair of beagles , kept in a large outdoor pen most of the time . Male/female . They were as friendly as could be All the time . Until one afternoon we were in the backyard and let them out while we were playing . My little sister (3 or 4) walked through the yard towards me and my brothers . Without provocation the male attacked her . Had it not been us in the yard no one knows how it could have ended ? SOMETHING triggered it ? Both good rabbit dogs were gone next morning ?

ROVERBOY

I watched a coyote hunting video awhile back, and they got footage of a black lab running with 2 or 3 coyotes.

ROVERBOY

The guy hunting and filming the video killed one of the coyotes with the lab, and the lab just milled around.

Latest posts