What are your thoughts on the .204 Ruger

TeamMainStreet

For anybody that has one or has had one, what are your thoughts on this cartridge? Thinking about buying another rifle and this cartridge has my interest. No real plans for it other than just a beater rifle capable of killing yotes, cattle chasing dogs and groundhogs. Probably won't be a dedicated anything.

Kimberman

My Dad had one in a CZ 527 that would shoot silly good groups with factory ammo. Only killed a couple groundhogs with it, but it worked well. He sold it because we don't shoot groundhogs anymore. Ammo is fairly easy to find, but no where near the choices you have in 22-250 or 223. If I were setting up a dedicated varmint/farm rifle, I would opt for a .243, .223 or 22-250 over the 204, but the 204 would be my 4th choice.

mr.big

I had one that was really fun to shoot and very accurate,,flat shooting and better in the wind than you might think,,maybe ideal PD caliber but for coyotes I will take a 9 twist 223 anyday over a 204,,

the main reason I traded out of it was I couldnt get close to factory ammo speeds without blowing primers and without the speed the light bullets just arent enough to get bang flops,

Rockhound

I've had 2, still got one. I love the caliber, and killed a coyote and a beaver with it. I like the 45 gr. Hornady bullets. The reason I still have 1 is because it was a gift. It just doesn't match all the variables I want in a gun. I love the 223 and 22-250 and will not hesitate to take those 2 calibers to the deer woods

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I always thought that it was a perfect solution to a problem that did not exist... but many calibers are like this, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some people have a flair for the new/unique/old/odd/fast/slow/big/small/etc., and that is what makes guns and the shooting sports great.

As far as performance goes, I don't really think that it does anything that a .22 centerfire cannot do just as well or better. YMMV

TeamMainStreet

EastTNHunter said:
I always thought that it was a perfect solution to a problem that did not exist... but many calibers are like this, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some people have a flair for the new/unique/old/odd/fast/slow/big/small/etc., and that is what makes guns and the shooting sports great.

As far as performance goes, I don't really think that it does anything that a .22 centerfire cannot do just as well or better. YMMV

I like this reply. This purchase, if it happens, will not be a purchase of necessity. It will simply be a case of just wanting another rifle in a caliber I dont have. It will not be bought with the thoughts of doing one particular job. I have rifles to deer hunt with as well as rifles to predator and varmint hunt with. I have rifles to hunt small game with. For some reason I have seem to have a fancy for fast, small caliber centerfires. Just kind of curious about accuracy, ammo availability and so on with this caliber. Thanks for the replies.

KPH

It hold up un the wind much better than one would think. I load 32gr. bullets for P-Dogs and it will turn them inside out red mist every where. I have read of some using it on coyotes but I never have. It is a fun cal. to load and shoot.

remke

I have a Savage, and it has only killed 2 things.
1 a ton of Praire Dogs out to 400 yards and a crow that just needed it.
Great gun and fun round. Mine likes the 39 gn but I great speed out of the 28 grn varmint grenades. They didn't do nearly as well in the wind as the 39's do.
Groups very well also. Wouldn't think twice about shooting a yote out to 300 yards with it either.
Hope this helps

Bodine270

I have a CZ527 in .204 that is my go to varmint gun. Crazy fast and very accurate with Hornady ammo. I get great groups with all grains of Hornady. Really fun target gun too. I find it way more accurate at long range than the .223. Very flat shooting.

Encore Eye Candy

Hands down the .204 is my favorite cal to shoot. Used mainly for PD hunt and have taken them beyond 400 yds. I have shot out to 600 yds to a plate and the 223 I was shooting could dropped like a rock at that range. With that said I am looking into a 22-250 as a future purchase.

Encore Eye Candy

mr.big said:
the main reason I traded out of it was I couldnt get close to factory ammo speeds without blowing primers and without the speed the light bullets just arent enough to get bang flops,

I have not traded mine but agree on not getting speed and most of the time I get better groups with factory.

Latest posts