Food Plots What are the chances...

megalomaniac

Our local south MS lease manager seeded a quarter of our plots this past Sunday... problem is, I sprayed the plots 5 weeks ago and got a great burndown, he bushhogged the plots 2w ago, then just threw seed out Sunday without disking or even scratching the ground. We got 2.5inches of hard rain last night from Zeta, and the wheat is just germinating this afternoon... I just don't see how much seed is going to survive on the hardpan with very little soil contact and only a shallow layer of thatch. We will see, but I'm not expecting much...

And I really need these plots to look pretty so the rest of the members camp on them and leave the other 1900 acres of woods alone for me to hunt.

SEC

They fly cover crops onto ag fields all the time now. Just increase the seeding rate to make up for the unprepared seed bed.

Omega

Should come up decently, I did the same thing except the spray part, and it germinated most if not all of the smaller seed.

JCDEERMAN

I think you'll have a descent turnout. I have wheat growing in the bed of my truck right now :p

I totally get it when you say you want fellow hunters on those fields so you can have the areas the mature deer hang out in during daylight predominantly to yourself!!! Most will hunt those fields and only those fields

tnanh

I did the same on some old log landings a couple weeks ago. Wheat and cereal rye have greened up pretty good. May need to scatter some more seed in those places in about a week.

megalomaniac

A little fuzz coming up, still a lot of seed ungerminated on the surface that is going to be wasted

Attachments

• 20201105_150824.jpg
    20201105_150824.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91