What’s Wrong With this Buck?

DC219

My son killed this nice 8 pointer over the weekend. The hair on both sides of the deer, from the shoulders to the top of the neck looked like it had crossed paths with the worst barber on earth. It was very patchy, but didn't look like sickness. As ridiculous as it sounds, it kind of looked cut with something like a clipper. Some spots nearly to the skin and some not so much. The buck looked perfectly healthy otherwise. Any ideas?

Attachments

• AD3639C5-BCBF-41C8-8C4E-3F3DFD36B0E8.jpeg
    AD3639C5-BCBF-41C8-8C4E-3F3DFD36B0E8.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 467
  • A84F1F90-3072-4045-904A-DAD1783B3550.png
    A84F1F90-3072-4045-904A-DAD1783B3550.png
    538.2 KB · Views: 461

DC219

Thanks. He was pumped about it. That was our first guess, but I've seen a lot that we're beat up from fighting and this looked different. The cape was bad enough that he didn't want to have it mounted. It looks sort of like a cape that went bad and the hair is slipping; except that's impossible.

BSK

Another possibility is scarring from ticks. My daughter killed a buck two season ago that spent most of his life working powerline right-of-ways. His chest and neck were solid fat ticks. Once they freeze back, I bet they would leave a lot of scars.

BigBuckBeas

My son killed this nice 8 pointer over the weekend. The hair on both sides of the deer, from the shoulders to the top of the neck looked like it had crossed paths with the worst barber on earth. It was very patchy, but didn't look like sickness. As ridiculous as it sounds, it kind of looked cut with something like a clipper. Some spots nearly to the skin and some not so much. The buck looked perfectly healthy otherwise. Any ideas?
Nice buck ole son

DC219

The tick theory makes a lot of sense. It just doesn't look like the battered, rut beat bucks I've seen before. The lead poisoning theory is a pretty good one too, except he took on a does of copper rather than lead. 😀

BSK

The tick theory makes a lot of sense. It just doesn't look like the battered, rut beat bucks I've seen before. The lead poisoning theory is a pretty good one too, except he took on a does of copper rather than lead. 😀
I find that fighting scars are more concentrated on the face, around the ears, and down the back of the neck.

Latest posts