Western Draws

wjohnson1983

So I went out to Wyoming to antelope hunt and I caught the western hunting bug. Right now I have 1 elk point in CO, 4 deer points in WY, and 6 antelope points in WY. I've been trying to do some online research for other states on their draw process and what species would be worth applying for in those states. It looks like I have 2 turkey points in CO too, but I thought those had expired.

WY - No questions here except should I start building elk points too? Last I checked it was $75 for and elk PP.

CO - I did the point two years ago. I had to buy an out of state fishing license, and then pay for a full price elk tag. I put in the point only hunt code and the tag was refunded minus the application fee. Put in for mule deer points too since I've already paid for the license?

AZ - Must buy a license for $160 to enter the draw and then $15 to purchase a bonus point only for each species. Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Desert Bighorn

NM - Completely Random; No point System. Have to buy a license in addition to draw license fee. Can be refunded both minus the application fee. Elk, Antelope

UT - Can buy bonus points for $10 each species. No license required to apply for points? Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Desert Bighorn

NV - Must buy a license for $142 to enter the draw and then $10 to purchase a bonus point only for each species. Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Desert Bighorn.

MT - This was the hardest one to find information on. It looks like they have Preference Points and Bonus Points? What's the difference? You can buy Preference points only after the draw.

LanceS4803

wjohnson1983":2oie0w0l said:
UT - Can buy bonus points for $10 each species. No license required to apply for points? Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, and Desert Bighorn

Yes, annual license required, which cost $85 if I remember right.
BUT, here is the trick. Get your annual license towards the end of the application window, then apply for your hunts or points.
The next year, your annual license is still good for the beginning of the application window.
You get two years worth of applications on one annual license.

ThorThor

Arizona you can skip years also if you apply for points only if you time it right

Elk are $50. Moose are $75 in wyoming. I have six antelope points. I might cash them in 2017. Killed my first antelope a 92 2/8 in AZ this year so ready for a fun hunt. I got I week in of looking at a lot antelope in the 80's, by far hardest animal to judge

Build CO deer points if your into mule deer, best state for the points you need.

Utah general season deer hunts are getting better four years into limited tags in general areas. So you two types of deer draw tags there general and limited.

If you want a moose. Idaho has the best odds. No points. 1/10 draw odds roughly. But the tag is $2100 and must be fronted and you have to buy the $150 license up front and get a refund minus the license fee Iif not drawn ,not cheap but
it's 1/10 for moose.

Most states if you apply for one species do the others because you are already in it that far and you never know. The antelope tag I drew was 1/1800 odds but someone has to get one.

AT Hiker

MT is pricey for a general deer tag and those usually are 100% draw odds, the deer/elk permit is almost always leftover but it is a cool grand.
I build antelope points in MT but try to draw the deer only tag when I'm planning a hunt out there. To draw a premium unit you first draw the general deer tag then apply for the premo unit. It's an expensive gamble.

Your call on a WY elk point. If you plan to hunt out there in the next couple years it will benefit. Some years it is taking at least 1 point to draw a general tag now, so even the outfitter route in the Thorofare will take over a year to plan.

Just remember though, most of those states have a hybrid draw meaning you have a slight chance of drawing a tag. Make sure you can go if you do luck up and draw a random tag like I did in AZ last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjohnson1983

Thanks for the info folks. I'll continue the WY and CO points for sure. I'd like to start the AZ, UT, and NM tags, but that'll add up to some change every year.

Anybody have any info on a CO Merriam's hunt for Spring of 2018 with 3 points?

LanceS4803

wjohnson1983":7elak0wm said:
Thanks for the info folks. I'll continue the WY and CO points for sure. I'd like to start the AZ, UT, and NM tags, but that'll add up to some change every year.

A lot of folks are bailing on UT due to "points creep". You'll be starting out at a distinct disadvantage.
Check http://www.biggamedrawodds.com/. He hasn't updated the UT part, but it will give you a good idea of what you are facing. Most people at this point are using it like the lottery, which Once in a Lifetime is.
I'm pretty heavily invested from living there for so long and will be a huge lottery winner if I ever move back.

nwsg76

First year is the hardest to front the money. I ponied up one year to cover tags in utah, colorado, wyoming, iowa, Arizona..... back them you would get a check back in mail for a refund. That money would then go into a savings account to be used again in next year's applications.
You may not be able to do all in one year but over a couple years....you can cover cost to apply.
With points creep in most states.... I would accumulate a few points and then cash in every 3 to 4 years.
Hate throwing money away but new mexico and Arizona are best states for elk because you have chance to draw every year. Keep buying license and keep applying. Some day you will draw.

AT Hiker

One thing to consider; states can and do change their rules. Think of AZ, nobody had a realistic chance of drawing the strip unless you had max points...not the case anymore.
Plus don't get hung up on max points, I apply for those "impossible" units to a.) try my luck
b.) build points
Once I'm ready to cash in I study other criteria like access to public lands, harvest odds, B&C records, etc. just because you draw a 3rd season CO tag in a premo mule deer unit o a red desert Pronghorn tag doesn't mean you will kill a book animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThorThor

Small world Iam from Ellensburg, Wa. Washington is spike only for the general hunts. You have apply for horrible odds at a branch antler antler bull tag in the decent units. I apply for sheep moose and mtn goat there still. Bad, really bad odds on those

Oregon has good elk hunting for Roosevelts with a few points for better units in southwest Oregon. The Rocky Mountain Elk units take 20 or so points non resident for the quality north east units. The snake river/hells canyon area can be hunted with just a few points but you better have good horses.

For the drive - cannot beat New Mexico. Stay awake and drive straight down I 40 about 20 odd hours.

megalomaniac

Forget wy elk points if you are just getting into the game unless you are willing to go with a couple points and outfitter OR hunt a less than premium unit DIY

Point creep is just insane in Wy... I'm sitting on 1 less than max elk points and still may never get to draw one of the premier units DIY

Latest posts