Gear for western hunting

TN_Greenhead

Ok guys I am wanting to head west and hunt. I know there are a ton of podcasts, gear reviews, etc. My question is for a first timer what all would you look into purchasing specifically that you need to hunt out west. I already have a lot of gear from deer hunting and turkey etc but what else. I know good boots maybe a pack? Etc what all do my TN brethren recommend gear wise for trips out west. Disclaimer overtime I hope to get to do it all pronghorn, elk, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

Re: Gear for western hunting

One of the reasons I always recommend an antelope hunt as a first western hunt is that they can be hunted by using the same stuff you have for deer hunting. There's lots of them, they move during daylight hours, and you'll get plenty of opportunities. But, that doesn't answer your question.

Boots are the #1 purchase you should make. These should be top priority. You can skimp on other gear, but not boots. Spend some time trying on as many pairs as possible. Don't buy a pair over the internet or because its what (pick your celebrity hunter) wears.

A pack is another good investment. Try these on and get fit for them also. A $500+ pack isn't going to be any better than a Walmart pack if it doesn't fit. Don't overlook non-traditional hunting packs either. I use a REI brand pack and have for years.

A good tent is another wise investment. A 2-man tent is really a 1 man tent with enough room to roll-over in.

Sleeping pad. Every bit as important as a tent. Overdo it with purchase. You want to get a good nights sleep and being comfortable is a must. Keep in mind, some of the ultra-light models crinkle like you're sleeping on a bag of potato chips.

Stove - Use it some before heading out. Know how to disassemble it and clean it. It will quit working at the most inconvenient time.

I'm assuming you're wanting to do some backcountry hunts. For front country camps, your regular old camping gear works.

bloodtrailing

Good advise above. You really need to determine what you are hunting and how. Elk changes the game vs antelope or mule deer just based on size of the animal and if you have to pack out.

Base camp hunting from a trailhead vs backcountry also changes the requirements substantially.

turk870

Trekking Poles, and a good set that doesnt collapse with a little bit of pressure. This is the one item that I thought was a waste of space and weight, but wound up being now is a must have.

As far as packs goes Buzzard is right on the money. And of the packs specifically designed for packing the only ones you will be able to try out locally are Mystery Ranch, and probably could message rockchucker on here I'm sure Nathan can get a Seek Outside pack to try out. I personally have not been a fan of Mystery Ranch but my wife got a pop-up 28 this year and loved it, the frame folds down for day hunting and up for packing, she packed out an elk shoulder with it and said it was a big improvement over her Gregory.

fairchaser

Obviously you are dealing with longer distances and longer shots. So good glass is essential. That's binos, spotting scope and rifle scope. A quality range finder and poles to shoot off and maybe a good bipod and lots of practice. Good luck!

TN_Greenhead

Thanks so far all for the advice. I know it's a loaded question. But definitely getting some answers that I wanted. Boots, glass, etc are what I thought. I would love to start out on a antelope or deer but could possibly be a elk first as I know a few folks that have and want to go back out.

TN_Greenhead

Also any advice on places in tn to try on boots packs etc? I know Rei but who else. I'm in the Knoxville area.

gtk

Staff member

trying to think of things that sometimes dont' seem important, but they are to me. You probably have most of this stuff already

I always like carrying a water bladder in my backpack instead of water bottles. Make sure you get one that doesn't leak all over your lunch/spare clothes/accessories ! Nothing like hiking 3 miles in 7 degree weather, and getting to your spot, pulling out your coat, and finding it wet because your water bladder leaked all over it.

Rangfinder

A good compact first aid kit with emergency blanket/matches.

Good Sunglasses. the sun out here is brutal.

Scope Covers. the wind blows non stop, and my scope glass always get dusty

cushion to sit on !

i always carry zip ties in assorted sizes, and usually find a need for them. i use the smaller ones to attach the tag to carcass.

MickThompson

TN_Greenhead":37z44443 said:
Also any advice on places in tn to try on boots packs etc? I know Rei but who else. I'm in the Knoxville area.

Elliot's on western ave always had a good selection of boots

JCDEERMAN

All depends on what you're hunting and WHEN you are hunting. Weather can be sunny and 65 degrees, next thing you know it's hailing and 28 degrees....with NONE OF THAT in the forecast.

Like others have mentioned, a good pair of binoculars is a must
A pack-away rain suit is good
Sunglasses are a must
Allergy meds are a must
Rangefinder is a must (within 100 yards, I can guess within a couple yards on an object here in TN - out west, you could be 30 yards off. I almost shot at a bull elk one of my first times out - My FIL said "NO!". I ranged him and he was 70 yards away. He looked SO close because he was such a massive animal - bow of course)
Game bags (we use cheap pillow cases)
Alot of water. Air is dry out there. Cough drops will help keep your throat wet - my throat always gets dry on long hikes after an animal, and I found myself needing to cough at the absolute worse timing
Chapstik for lips and around nose if you get wind-chapped. Speaking of that, if you chafe. you need something for that! It will shut down a hunt quick

Buzzard Breath

duck tape - wrap several feet around a hiking pole just under the grip so you always have it
super glue - buy the small single use tubes - take all of them
chapstick

Buzzard Breath

Not really gear related, but if you're eating backpacking food, test all of the brands and flavors you're going to take. Some of it is really good, and some is outright horrible. I personally like any of the curries, and Mountain House Biscuits and Gravy is awesome, morning or evening. Mountain House Chili Mac will turn your tent into a methane bomb. You can crumble some precooked bacon into any meal and it improves the flavor 10 fold.

LanceS4803

On my last mule deer hunt in UT (10 days in October, comfortable to snow, staying in a camper), I kept a running list of "things to bring next time".
Nothing that was a showstopper, but nice to have things.

Multi-tool (now that I think about it, not sure why I listed it)
Small pocket knife
Extra water bottle
Sun screen
Lens brush
Gatorade packets
Waterproof cell phone pouch
Small notebook/pen
Sharpie
Gloves, extra pair
Gloves, waterproof
Fleece hat
Multi-cam poncho (for setting up on a glassing position)
Saline spray (really dry air can cause nose bleeds)
Sweatpants and slippers (I know, a real luxury)

AT Hiker

If your going DIY your gear list is going to be much larger than say a outfitted hunt. Nothing wrong with either one because they will both make you go broke.

Regardless, boots and good glass are worth the money. Good binocs with a tripod adapter would be my suggestion. Leather boots with a rubber rand, plan to spend a couple hundred bucks on solid boots. Make sure to treat them too.

Do you plan to backpack hunt? If so your gear list just got more complicated vs car camping.

Basically, just get the bare minimum and go for antelope. Like Buzzard said it's a great way to get your feet wet then you can build after that. If your wanting to backpack hunt I suggest doing some overnight trips in the Smokies. That will prepare you better than anything, IMO.

HuntNShoot

I just got the Kuiu 7800 pack and frame and will be getting the 2200 to put on the frame also. So far I like it around the yard but time will tell.

TNRifleman

A lot of it depends on what kind of hunting you will be doing. Will it be a back country hunt where you are packing everything in or will you simply need a day pack to carry with you. Here is my list of things to start with/consider.
1. Good glass is never bad but in a lot of places, good binos will be better than toting a spotting scope.
2. Good boots are a must. Don't limit yourself to traditional hunting boots and don't buy a pair because someone else said they were good. If you can, try on Crispi, Zamberlan, Kenetrek and my favorite, Salomon 4d 3 GTX.
3. Packs - Pick one that is the right size for how you are hunting. If you are doing day hikes, you don't need a 6000 cubic inch pack. However, having one with a good meat shelf is great if you need to pack something out. Again, this will be a matter of personal fit for frame packs. Kifaru, EXO, Mystery Ranch, and my favorite, Stone Glacier, are all great packs. My rule of thumb is "buy clothes from a clothing company and buy packs from a pack company"
4. Base Layers - Merino bases make life so much better when you are hiking all day and out there for multiple days.
5. Socks make a big difference. Several pair of good wool socks with good liner socks will make life more comfortable. Also, don't forget to take Leukotape in case you get a blister/hotspot on your feet.
6. First aid - Anything can happen out there. I carry a pretty extensive first aid kit.
7. Chocolate :) - I always like to have a little chocolate with me as a pick-me-up/morale booster for long days in the woods.

TNRifleman

Buzzard Breath":2s642zqu said:
Crocs - Your feet will love you at the end of the day after wearing boots all day.

Man oh man is it nice to slip on a pair of crocs to walk around camp after a day in boots. My crocs serve two purpose: 1. TO slip on to take out the trash and 2. Walk around elk camp.