Well dang it!!

passthrough76

This buck could be great if he had matching sides. What are the chances he could grow it back next season? I thought I read where they can.

Attachments

• Deer 2015.jpg
    Deer 2015.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 915

TheLBLman

passthrough76":3dqrnzln said:
What are the chances he could grow it back next season?
Just based on this single picture (with the buck still in velvet), would have to answer "low".

When a buck breaks off a hard antler from fighting or some other physical antler injury, he should typically grow it back the next year. But with this buck, my assumption is he didn't grow the antler in the first place (this year). This could be from some type physical injury from the past, and if that's the case, likely is permanent.

But the only way you may find out is to let him survive another year. :)

Mike Belt

Personally, I pass every buck I see if he's missing points or part of his main beam. He's just as hard to kill but I want him to have everything he grew before losing any of it. Hopefully he'll have it all the following season should we bump heads again. That being said, a buck that only has half a rack because that's all he can grow and particularly if he's an old bruiser would still be a trophy...just not my cup of tea.

TheLBLman

Mike Belt":1vqtzkg8 said:
Personally, I pass every buck I see if he's missing points or part of his main beam. He's just as hard to kill but I want him to have everything he grew before losing any of it. Hopefully he'll have it all the following season should we bump heads again. That being said, a buck that only has half a rack because that's all he can grow and particularly if he's an old bruiser would still be a trophy...just not my cup of tea.
Mike, when it comes to deer hunting, you and I think much alike. :)
A few years ago, I had one of the largest antlered mature bucks I've ever seen give me a perfect 15-yard shot. He probably would have been my largest antlered buck ever. Then I noticed he was missing his entire left main beam. I just watched him walk off, not sure whether to celebrate or cry over what I'd just seen and done.

But another thought went thru my mind: It took a heck of another buck to have broken off such a massive main beam on this one! But then again, he might have been run over by a truck. I never saw that buck again, but have no regrets for passing him. I sure did hunt hard looking for him the next year, and enjoyed every minute of the pursuit!

csi-tech

Probably severe pedicle damage or injury to the opposite side of the body. You'll likely never see that one grow a pair of antlers again. Walk him though, he has good genes.

backyardtndeer

Real nice. Shame that side is gone. Was he matched up before, or do you know? Cannot see the entire body, but looks to be a healthy deer from what can be seen in your pic.

Some pretty interesting articles out there. I think the chances are if the antler broke clean at the pedicle and no injury occurred that he may grow it back next season. Memory is stored when injuries occur in velvet to growing antler but not sure that any memory would be there for a clean break at the pedicle if that were the case.

Leonard Lee Rue gives a good explanation for contra lateral condition if the deer was injured on the opposite side. If the result of an injury likely it will be deformed next year.

Latest posts