Weatherby's new bolt action

TNRifleman

I agree and i have seen some fine furniture on older weatherbys
Something like this :)????
IMG_8651.jpeg

sneakybow

I've never owned a Weatherby but they are fine rifles. Unless you hand load the ammo is expensive for the Weatherby calibers and sometimes hard to find. For the price, I haven't seen the benefits of owning one over other high quality rifles. Maybe the new 307 will fit that bill. It's a strange name btw and they don't explain how they decided on it. It's like it's a 30 caliber ie .308 minus 1. Weird! Is it a new caliber or new rifle? Lol
The ease in how the bolt breaks down is cool. Most hunters have never disassembled their bolts and cleaned them or replaced the spring. Both are necessary. You would still need a tool for the spring but at least you could clean and oil it. The fluted barrel looks cool and reduces weight but fluting creates stress in the barrel and could affect accuracy. Weatherby used to guarantee 1 MOA accuracy and send the 3 shot target with the gun. I wonder if they still do that?
307 is the area code for the entire state of Wyoming. This is the first model that they've designed and built entirely in the state of Wyoming. That's why it's called the 307

sneakybow

Yawn, another rem 700 clone…at least it is made in the USA…
Why wouldn't it be made on the 700 footprint? Literally every freaking custom rifle made is based off the 700 action footprint. 100% industry supported and a plethora of new triggers,stocks,etc available for it. Look at how much aftermarket support there is for Browning actions, then look at 700 clones. It's a wise business decision on the part of Weatherby.

rodeojoe

I have had a Mark V of some kind since the year the Ultra lights came out with the 338.06.
The one I have now is an older lightweight model with no fluting, 22" barrel in 30.06. It has the same stock as the Ultralights. I went away from the Ultralights because the 3rd shot from a hot barrel always separated from the group. This is the rifle I will go to the grave with.
The 307's are something I will end up trying one day. I do like the 700 action and with an M16 extractor, I would like it even better.

DaveB

About four years ago Weatherby moved their facility from California to Sheridan Wyoming. It appears they will be making this rifle there instead of just putting their name on a Howa rifle.

It's always good to see an American firearms manufacturer doing well with a product made here. Having our firearms made in America is as important as having our pharmaceuticals made here. Getting shut off from either would be a disaster.

8ZcPGfh.gif
I was in the Weatherby store in Los Angeles many many times. I bought a Vanguard there. bought 300 Weatherby Mag brass and 180 Partitions. These are the guys who put me on to Federal Gold Medal primers. They had a Moose on the wall that was so large you needed a lunch to look from one tip to the other. Plus that Bear, I bought, and still have, my first hunting boots there although they are really showing their age.

Latest posts