Weather forecast

BSK

I would also add a higher percentage of the land in timber for a factor of why Stewart beats Henry. Henry has the soils and the agriculture, but not enough cover to allow bucks to grow old.

That's always one of the "Catch 22" problems of areas with extensive timber. That timber allows bucks to grow old, but doesn't do much for antler development.

I can grow a lot of old bucks in my timber, but unless I can draw some of the bucks out of the nearby agricultural bottomlands, I'm not going to see any large-antlered old bucks. I'll have to count them up, but I guess I've photographed around a dozen mature bucks on my place over the last few years. But very few of those bucks would make the TN Registry.

tellico4x4

We took advantage of the hot, dry weather ths past weekend to do a little weed killing in the plots. Bush hogged,and sprayed them all. Plan on going back up and disking this weekend. Hopefully all the weeds will be history by the time the weather allows us to plant...

TheLBLman

Winchester said:
Now wait a minute Wes, I thought the size of antlers didnt concern you? You have repeatedly posted that you are more interested in age than antlers!!
Of course I'd rather have an older buck with larger antlers than one with smaller antlers. :grin:

Only point I was trying to make here is that in any given circumstance, collective other factors can be as important, and even more important than the base soil.

A yearling buck on the best soil seldom competes (antlers or weight) with a 3 1/2-yr-old buck on relatively poor soil. Likewise, put more rainfall on average soil than inadequate rainfall on better soil, and the average soil may grow larger deer and bucks with larger antlers (at all ages classes).

Latest posts