Possibilities that this weather will impact deer populations?

DeerCamp

We are looking at anywhere from 6-10" of snow this week, with temperatures as low as 4F, windchills of -10, and probably won't be above freezing until Next week.

What are the chances this impact the deer population, and is there anything that could be done to help the deer make it through the next few weeks?

Carlos

I'm not sure but I've been feeding them corn for the past few days. They'd probably be fine without it, but it makes me feel better.
I'm keeping the bird feeders full as well.

BSK

What really kills deer in winter up North is the depth of the snow. Once deer have to labor to get through it, that's a problem. In addition, if predators chase them through deep snow, they face exhaustion. I don't think a foot of snow would be a problem. And as for temperatures, it would take prolonged cold (weeks going on months) to actually kill deer. However, all that said, any snow or cold is going to add stress to deer. It is the cumulative stresses of late fall through winter that reduce a deer's performance the following year. Plenty of studies have shown the link between mild winters and bigger deer (better performance) the following year. And just the opposite is true, the more stressful the winter, the lower the performance the following year.

flyinpro

I grew up in N MI and many winters were hard. Deep Snow is the key not wind chill or low temps. Deer need to consume food & water to keep their energy & deep snow & frozen water sources hinder that. Of course up there the snow lasted weeks or at time months. Here not so.

waynesworld

Weather can impact deer populations but not so much this little cool snap. This is still a mild weather for them. But it will be nice to check camera's and see some of the younger ones react to the ice. :)

BSK

In TN, the two major factors affecting the following year's growth performance for bucks are 1) how stressful the local rut is; and 2) the quality/quantity of winter food sources.

In areas of primarily hardwoods, the 2nd factor is driven heavily by the previous fall's acorn crop. In essence, expect a decline in buck performance/growth for years following a poor acorn crop.

TheLBLman

In areas of primarily hardwoods, the 2nd factor is driven heavily by the previous fall's acorn crop. In essence, expect a decline in buck performance/growth for years following a poor acorn crop.
Would it be fair to say that much of TN has become "less" of an acorn-driven herd than compared to a few years ago?

There are some pretty vast areas of our Western Highland Rim where large hardwood forests are now much more "mixed" habitats. Perhaps to a lesser degree, am also seeing this statewide.

And maybe not worth much in the big picture, but there has also been a widespread increase in purposeful habitat improvement for wildlife in general, making deer in particular "less" dependent on a good acorn crop. Add to this wildlife "food plots", although they may be significantly over-valued by hunters, they are of at least some value to herd health.

JCDEERMAN

We have seen historic times in Hickman. 2018 was a complete acorn crop failure. I think I found 4 edible acorns on 622 acres. Worst ehd I've seen in my lifetime in 2019. In 2020, the only acorns I found were from red oaks - that's roughly 20% of our property and of that 20%, probably only about 50% produced good acorns. They have to be starved. Our 9 acres of food plots never got over 3" high - averaged lip high. The near years ahead will be rough

DeerCamp

They are digging for something!

Attachments

• 87233.jpeg
    87233.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 63

BSK

We have seen historic times in Hickman. 2018 was a complete acorn crop failure. I think I found 4 edible acorns on 622 acres. Worst ehd I've seen in my lifetime in 2019. In 2020, the only acorns I found were from red oaks - that's roughly 20% of our property and of that 20%, probably only about 50% produced good acorns. They have to be starved. Our 9 acres of food plots never got over 3" high - averaged lip high. The near years ahead will be rough
Very similar pattern at my place in western Humphreys County JCDEERMAN. 2018 was a very poor acorn crop. 2019 we had a lot of acorns on the ground, but due to the late summer drought (we had no rain at my place from mid-August to mid-October), many of the acorns had shriveled up meat inside the outer shell. Luckily, we did not see any EHD deaths on the property, but nearby bottomlands were not so lucky. This year, like you, we found just a few red oaks producing, and those acorns were all eaten by late October. The wet August we had this year allowed me to get our food plots in early to mid-August, so we had the best food plots we've ever had, but with the lack of acorns, they were down to the dirt by the end of November.

Tom Collins

In TN, the two major factors affecting the following year's growth performance for bucks are 1) how stressful the local rut is; and 2) the quality/quantity of winter food sources.

What factors make the rut more stressful?

BSK

What factors make the rut more stressful?
The stress of the rut is driven primarily the adult sex ratio, but also to a lesser degree the buck age structure. When many more does are present per buck, the rut stretches out over a longer period; i.e. months instead of a weeks. This prolonged breeding activity increases the duration of chasing and heavy weight loss in bucks. And as for the buck age structure, mature bucks have the body weight to spare for the rut, and when they are present, they do more breeding than younger bucks do. This saves the younger bucks from heavy rut stress and the life-long reduction in performance that is seen from bucks that are more stressed while their young.

Those two factors can be "managed for" (improved through harvest selection). However, one MAJOR rut stress factor that cannot be altered is the terrain. I have a growing body of evidence form trail-camera censuses that bucks who live/rut in very steep/rugged terrain do not live as long as bucks in flatter terrain. I strongly believe all the chasing in steep terrain is far more stressful than chasing on flat ground. This greatly increases stress and makes post-rut survival less likely.

Tom Collins

The stress of the rut is driven primarily the adult sex ratio, but also to a lesser degree the buck age structure. When many more does are present per buck, the rut stretches out over a longer period; i.e. months instead of a weeks. This prolonged breeding activity increases the duration of chasing and heavy weight loss in bucks. And as for the buck age structure, mature bucks have the body weight to spare for the rut, and when they are present, they do more breeding than younger bucks do. This saves the younger bucks from heavy rut stress and the life-long reduction in performance that is seen from bucks that are more stressed while their young.

Those two factors can be "managed for" (improved through harvest selection). However, one MAJOR rut stress factor that cannot be altered is the terrain. I have a growing body of evidence form trail-camera censuses that bucks who live/rut in very steep/rugged terrain do not live as long as bucks in flatter terrain. I strongly believe all the chasing in steep terrain is far more stressful than chasing on flat ground. This greatly increases stress and makes post-rut survival less likely.
Very interesting, these posts really make me appreciate the intricacies of the whitetail.

Latest posts