Weather forecast

BSK

Long range computer models are starting to suggest the possibility of rain next weekend. I'll keep an eye on it.

The models also suggest a bit of a breakdown in the upper level High Pressure system that has been sitting over us. That would provide more opportunity for afternoon thunderstorms.

Creek

Man I do hope so. I just pulled up the seven day forecast and I dont like the outlook. Just took a walk this mourning and standing next to the fence looking at my neighbors pastures and they are solid brown and this in the river bottom area. It was sad looking. There was some dew in a few spots this morning but not very much.

BSK

The pastures--even the bottomland ones--look terrible in my area too. My lawn is burnt brown.

However, I've been amazed at how well the native weed species deer relly on at this time of year are doing, such as ragweed, desmodium and polk.

By the way PRB, I use different forecasting tools than the Weather Channel or Accuweather use.

Creek

BSK....I didnt know you used forecasting tools. Do you have a pretty good or better (let say 2 to 5 day) forecast than others ?
psycho....What little amount Ive let grow up all year also seems to be helpng.

Tenbears

BSK said:
The pastures--even the bottomland ones--look terrible in my area too. My lawn is burnt brown.

However, I've been amazed at how well the native weed species deer relly on at this time of year are doing, such as ragweed, desmodium and polk.

I have a small field that seems to have what I think is polk, after talking to DoubleD and listeningt to him describe it to me. The deer are nawing it like crazy.

HOOK

BSK said:
I've been amazed at how well the native weed species deer relly on at this time of year are doing, such as ragweed, desmodium and polk.

Same here, I've kept a few areas of field high just to give them extra forage.

BSK

PRB said:
BSK....I didnt know you used forecasting tools. Do you have a pretty good or better (let say 2 to 5 day) forecast than others ?

I use the same computer models the NOAA forecasters use, but I may interpret them differently. Accuweather and the Weather Channel have their own in-house computer models, but they have proven to be not as accurate as the NOAA models.

I use the WRF model for 3 1/2-day forecasts and the GFS model for 10-day forecasts.

TheLBLman

BSK said:

I was amazed at some of the native forb patches I observed yesterday evening --- there were still some very lush ones on the north sides of every ridge line.

Also, while 100% of the ridge-top food plots were dead, I still had a few very lush bottomland clover patches -- of course the deer seemed more interested in the ragweed. (I think we've had a tad more rain this summer to the north of you.)

I walked around quite a bit, visited one spring that's the closest water to many ridge-running deer ---- it was still providing a beautiful fresh water supply --- and there were no dead deer near it. Was worried I'd find a lot of dead dear this weekend, but didn't find a one.

BSK

I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. :(

Even the forecast rain early next week is looking more iffy. :(

TheLBLman

BSK said:
I saw that on Radar yesterday. Of course, it evaporated just before getting to my place. :(
It has been amazing over the years how many times I've pulled up the radar for Tennessee statewide, and the only place there was any rain was over Stewart County.

Being this "land between the lakes" is frequently causing some "lake effect" rainfall. IMO, this augmented rainfall may be causing Stewart to have some larger antlered bucks (relative to their age class) than some surrounding counties with better soils AND more agriculture.

A few years ago I overheard some comments at the LBL check station from some green suits, and in retrospect, it's possible one of them may have been Alan Peterson, as this would have been before I knew him. The comment went something like this:
"I can't believe all these good bucks coming in, and this is some of the sorriest soil in the region!"

Think about it.
How good are the "good" soils of Texas without adequate rainfall?

Or, how could it be that the neighboring Henry County, with better soils and much soybean & corn agriculture ---- and a better buck:doe ratio ---- and having recorded perhaps over ten times as many buck harvests during the past 30 years ---- yet Henry has produced few TN registry bucks compared to Stewart County. Why?

My contention is Stewart County, despite some less desirable soils and a relative lack of agriculture, consistently gets a little more rainfall than Henry County.

TheLBLman

Guess this is a little "soapbox" issue of mine:
I like to focus on all the factors that come together to help produce larger antlered bucks, more than just saying it's all about the soil. The soil may very well be the single most important factor, or wait, could it be age, or sometimes even rainfall? Or do all the other factors collectively have a greater impact than the soil? Guess it depends on the soil. ;)

Winchester

Now wait a minute Wes, I thought the size of antlers didnt concern you? You have repeatedly posted that you are more interested in age than antlers!! LOL just razzin ya a little, somebody's gotta keep it honest!!

Latest posts