Forecast/planting ?

eyeseeker

The last couple attempts at planting DER I think I have been planting it too late(mid to late sept) and it hasn't had enough time to mature before growth was slowed by temps. I was looking at the forecast and it looks like good chances of rain for the rest of the month.....should I go ahead and plant it? If it gets a little growth will that help it build some drought resistance if we have a dry sept ? This will also be my first time using Urea.....I know it needs to be spread as close to a rain as possible, but will discing it in help with nitrogen loss if it will be a little while before rain ?

PickettSFHunter

I got all my turnips,rape, and radishes in the ground last weekend and yesterday. So yes I would plant if your forecast for more rains soon. The ground is pretty soggy here right now. Discing into moist soil should help with N volatilization.

PickettSFHunter

Right now I either have to plant the rest of my plots between now and the 18th or after September 7th because Ill be in MS for a few weeks. Im liking all this rain we are getting now so I think Ill plant 1/2 this weekend and leave the other 1/2 for September. Sort of hedge my bets so to speak.

BSK

Right now we seem to be on a weather pattern of regular dips in the jet stream (fronts) sliding through about every 4-5 days. Can't say if that will continue much beyond the next 2 weeks though.

Relentless

Got the disc ran over mine last weekend. I am going to have seed in the ground by the end of the month. This will be the earliest that I have ever planted my winter plots, but hoping to see positive results.

BSK

Forecast still look pretty good. A possible rain Friday and then several chance of rain early next week.

My area of Humphreys County received enough rain yesterday that the roads were muddy.

reflex264

I am planting this week on the micro plots and a 1 acre plot. The soil mosture is finally doable. I worked till 9:00 last night to get the 1 acre ready. 2 acre plot hasn't bee touched yet and I'm not sure we are going to plant it unless we get another shower or two. reflex264

here is my handy work from last night......
littleplot-disc.jpg

BSK

Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to hit a little dry period for the next week or so. But temps will be cooler.

Relentless

I am going to plant my base tomorrow morning...wheat and oats. I mixed some beans in for some early season browsing. I am thinking of adding some sugar beets to the mix. Has anyone here used them? What results did you see?

Latest posts