Walleye

East TN Bowhunter

I catch a few while crappie fishing during the spawn on my local lake. That's the only walleyes I have ever caught. Generally, I think they are towards the bottom at the upper end of certain lakes where they turn into river channels and you have a rocky bluff nearby. However, when I catch them during crappie spawn, they are very shallow with the crappie on the lower end of the lake I fish. I've also heard of people catching them in the rivers right below dams using spinnerbaits or jerkbaits, but I have never had success doing that.

eyeseeker

Throughout the summer, you can catch them suspended in any of the lakes that hold them by trolling cranks. In rivers you can catch them trolling against the current with cranks bumping the bottom. If you make it over my way I can take you and show you some places this summer....I'm in Spring Hill and fish Normandy, the Cumberland river and below Pickwick mostly but dale hollow and center hill are the numbers places.

Wooden Arrow

Anyone had any luck with Walleye? Id like to try em but I'm in West TN, so it would be a dedicated trip. Don't want your secret spot, just where generally are they located? On the bottom, current, all over? Are they near KY lake or Pickwick?
the closest i know of would be in Dale Hollow or Woods. they are fished for pretty much like the sauger (on/near bottom), and frequently are caught mixed wiith them. i have much better luck on both species behind current breaks in rivers.

rsimms

Your best bet is to travel far East to the tailwaters of Watts Bar Dam. That is where TWRA has been stocking large numbers of walleye for ten years. My guide partner (who is very successful) generally trolls crankbaits using planer boards. He is almost always within two or three miles of the dam, but often very close to the dam. The biggest variable on where the walleye congregate is how much water is being released through the dam. He's invested a HUGE amount of time on the water to figure out how to adjust for that variable. But for reference, here is one video I shot with him a couple years ago.

Latest posts