Walking to stand in the morning and spooking deer.

volunteer1

I have a about a two acre food plot that sits on a ridge situated between hardwoods and a 10 acre pasture. I have sparsely hunted this since muzzleloader opened. However it seems the times that I have hunted I have spooked deer out of the plot walking to my ladder stand. I am walking through an adjoining pasture that is extremely quiet. The only time I spook the deer is when I go over the fence to get to my stand. Usually get to my stand about 30-45 minutes before day break. However I was thinking of waiting right till daybreak so I could glass the plot before entering to my stand. Anyone�s thoughts on this or experience with a similar situation. Thanks.

DaveB

I am beginnning to think the same way. I have been bumping up a lot of deer because the thick bedding areas are close to the place I park. I tried creating a "quiet" pathway in but dry leaves make us sound like a herd of elephants.

chiggerbit

Or I'd just save it for afternoon hunts. Been having the same issue in the woods. Rut locked down with deer feeding and bedding under the same trees I'm hunting, with little sign elsewhere, finding more sign than after the last hunt, every time I get down from my tree. Next hunt I'm gonna still hunt in after I can see good and just leave my climber in the Explorer!

volunteer1

Happened again! I cant catch a break. Basically still hunted to my stand this morning after daybreak, glassed the food plot and edge of wood line for deer. Saw nothing so I continued to stand. Sure enough I see whitetails flickering off down the hollow. Their has been good deer taking out of this stand site in the past and during am hours. It is frustrating but you got to stay with it. No one said hunting was easy. Thanks for listening.

volunteer1

Just heard a close gun shot on the other ridge line where those deer could of potentialy ran to. yall know how that goes though...your mind starts to play tricks on you as you wonder what they shot or were shooting at!

volunteer1

Your absolutely right. I try not to let the excessive gunshots , like this morning for example, from other hunters weigh on my mind (though it is hard). I just try to think back on all the years I have hunted and the deer I have shot and missed, or cyotes,etc. I bet there were other hunters that were thinking " there goes my big boy".

tn droptine

Are they winding you on the way in? If you were slow and quiet I would think the only thing to alert them that you were there would be an unfavorable wind direction. I have many places that I very rarely hunt because I have to wait for just the right wind.

volunteer1

They could of very easily winded. Sprayed down etc. before heading to the woods. Pretty sure they spotted me though. The plot sits on the side if a small ridge and pasture on other side. The ridge acts like a pinch point and leads down a hollow to a big creek. You would really have to see it. Iam not the best descrpitive writer. The deer could hang out below the plot and I would not know they were there till crossing the gate. It us kind of " danged if you do,danged if you dont". I just have to realize that if im going to hunt this stand in the morning I take the chance of spooking deer. I guess the reality of it is you take a chance of spooking deer about everytime you enter the woods!

log72

From my experiences you have to almost walk into em in the dark before they bolt. Even then they rarely "blow" at you, unless, they smell you. Iv heard em trot off when they hear me. They hang around and watch me climb my ladder stand & when I get settled I can still hear em close by. If I feel they winded me though, confidence goes down.

DirtyBear0311

Try walking in at dark and see how that goes for you. If they do spook then at least you have a bit before light gets there and that goves them a chance to calm down and come right back.

kdxdude

I prefer to try n hunt my wait in by waiting til I can see, being as quiet as a bobcat while easing into my stand. If that doesn't work, try going in well before light & use a drag-rag or rub Tinks 69 on your boots. I have had good bucks trail me right to my stand after I spooked deer before daylight. Best of luck to ya!

Latest posts