Vortex Viper 2-7 scope.....Very Impressed

Model70Man

I bought a Vortex Viper 2-7 from Cameraland to replace the Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5 that was on my 460 S&W. The Conquest was just too long and it looked like it was almost as long as the barrel. The Viper has the ED glass and optically gives the Conquest as run for the money in regular daylight. I got the Versa Plex C3 reticle. It looks like a #4 reticle with a ring around the middle. Not sure how well the reticle will be seen in low light. I will check later tonight to see how well the low light transmission and colors look and give an update on the reticle. So far, my first impression of the scope is WOW! This scope will be put to the test as it's going to go on my 460 S&W. The recoil on this rifle is fierce.

EncoreVortex.jpg

Model70Man

I compared the Vortex Viper 2-7x32 to my Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32. The Viper's reticle is comparable to a Leupold reticle. It's not as bold as the Conquest reticle and is not easy to see as the sun goes down. Light transmission for the Viper is very good. Objects could easily be seen as the sun went down. Colors could be seen very well. I tracked the neighbors dog with the scope and could easily tell what I was looking at well past sundown and legal shooting time. During legal shooting time the reticle could be seen. As light faded, the crosshairs were harder to see, but this was well past legal shooting time. The Conquest #20 reticle is better than the Versa Plex C3 reticle. It was so easy to see. The Conquest was much brighter and I could see the neighbors dog close to 10 minutes longer than than the Viper. Overall, the Viper is right up there with the Leupold VX3, Sightron SII Big Sky, and Nikon Monarch optically. For $179 this is a no brainer best bang for your buck. A 6.5-20x44 is my next purchase for my long range rig.

Model70Man

They are significantly less expensive compared to a Conquest. Optically they are just like the Leupold VX3 IMO, just so much less expensive.

I like the fast focus objective on the ocular. It's just like the Conquest. The turrets have precise clicks and the turrets can be reset to zero very easily.

If you are looking for a scope, I wouldn't overlook this scope. It makes you want to reconsider spending the extra money for a Leupold or Zeiss for sure.

Here are some of the prices:
Vortex Viper 2-7x32mm riflescope for only $174.99 in your choice of BDC, C3 or V-Plex reticle

Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50mm riflescope with V-Plex reticle for only $249.99

Vortex Viper 4-12x40mm PA riflescope with V-Plex reticle for only $249.99

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm PA riflescope for only $249.99 in your choice of V-Plex or Target Dot reticle

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm PA riflescope with Target Dot reticle for only $279.99

DaveTN

These are interesting. I read that some, but not all of their scopes are made here. I sent an email to find out which lines are made here.
Anyone used any of the higher power scopes? (6.5X20X50�etc) In that range the Viper price is as high as a Leupold and the razor is more than a Nightforce.

Latest posts