Very strange observation

muddyboots

I've been pretty much sold on nest raiding predators being the main problem with turkey numbers. With that said I've observed something very strange over last 2 weeks. It happened once and I said fluke but same thing happened yesterday. Twice I've heard a turkey gobble and know where they are. I move closer to observe and all of the sudden the turkey will come out of strut and fast walk off. I'm like they didn't see me what happened. Both times a flock of buzzards appeared circling overhead very close and even landing where the turkey was strutting. Anyone else seen this? Very strange.

deerhunter10

I've been pretty much sold on nest raiding predators being the main problem with turkey numbers. With that said I've observed something very strange over last 2 weeks. It happened once and I said fluke but same thing happened yesterday. Twice I've heard a turkey gobble and know where they are. I move closer to observe and all of the sudden the turkey will come out of strut and fast walk off. I'm like they didn't see me what happened. Both times a flock of buzzards appeared circling overhead very close and even landing where the turkey was strutting. Anyone else seen this? Very strange.
I haven't noticed it but will start paying attention for sure.

tellico4x4

Never noticed that but will start paying attention. Fished Bear Creek on Pickwick yesterday & stinking black headed ones were everywhere, some just sitting on banks.
Believe I read somewhere that they would gang up & kill animals up to small calf size. Maybe they've started killing turkeys.
Caught two of them this year in leg hold traps too

Iglow

I was reading an old book by a guy named Simon Everitt and he went over all the turkeys enemies, same as now but he said crows really gave eggs and poults problems. Over and over he mentioned crows? Book was published in 1928.

knightrider

I was reading an old book by a guy named Simon Everitt and he went over all the turkeys enemies, same as now but he said crows really gave eggs and poults problems. Over and over he mentioned crows? Book was published in 1928.
Crows are a turkeys nightmare!! Not only do they eat every nest they can find they are just like any other raptor they will swoop in and grap poults!

Iglow

Crows are a turkeys nightmare!! Not only do they eat every nest they can find they are just like any other raptor they will swoop in and grap poults!
Now , shooting crows is something I could absolutely get behind! It's a sport in itself! I'd guess the seasons are similar year to year.

Attachments

• IMG_3732.png
    IMG_3732.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts