A checking station observation

Huntaholic

I stopped by and got my license this morning at one of the few places left that still check animals in and while there I noticed that there were some really older age class birds being checked in. Every bird I saw come in was 3+ yrs old and the guys manning the station said every bird that came in all morning was the same, older age class birds. PERHAPS delaying the opener for the rest of us MIGHT end up being more beneficial than we are willing to admit!

Jcalder

If people are still using a checking station they're in violation. Pretty sure I know the store and I called them out on it when the regulations first changed when I stopped by to weigh a deer I had killed. They were clueless.

Huntaholic

How are they in violation? You have until midnight on the day of the harvest to get your animal checked in. You have a TEMPORARY tag attached to your license, what is the issue? I confess and I dont give a fat hairy rats ass who knows it, I dont tag NOTHING. When I get home, because the online shat is too complicated, I get on my PC and check my harvest in. If Travis Cowan, ( J co warden) or whoever doesnt like it, fornicate them and I will see them in court. Some people, Jason, take things way too far in the WRONG direction, and as a result end up alienating young people to the bounty God has provided for us.

Huntaholic

Once a turkey gets past being a jake you can't judge the age whatsoever
Do you seriously believe that? Beard DOESNT factor into it, but spur length does. YES, some birds never get 1.5 in razor sharp spurs, it take a little common sense and a LOT of experience killing birds in a specific area. Spurs get broke, beards get frozen, beard rot, fungus, etc.... but IF you know enough about the area you hunt and the age structure, to say what you said, just shows your ignorance honestly.

Don'tDrinkTinks

How are they in violation? You have until midnight on the day of the harvest to get your animal checked in. You have a TEMPORARY tag attached to your license, what is the issue? I confess and I dont give a fat hairy rats ass who knows it, I dont tag NOTHING. When I get home, because the online shat is too complicated, I get on my PC and check my harvest in. If Travis Cowan, ( J co warden) or whoever doesnt like it, fornicate them and I will see them in court. Some people, Jason, take things way too far in the WRONG direction, and as a result end up alienating young people to the bounty God has provided for us.
I think he's referring to the new tag before you drag regs.

Fast Learner

Do you seriously believe that? Beard DOESNT factor into it, but spur length does. YES, some birds never get 1.5 in razor sharp spurs, it take a little common sense and a LOT of experience killing birds in a specific area. Spurs get broke, beards get frozen, beard rot, fungus, etc.... but IF you know enough about the area you hunt and the age structure, to say what you said, just shows your ignorance honestly.
Your response shows ignorance. Please enlighten us on how to properly age a turkey?

muddyhunter

Look just because you're uneducated doesn't mean you gotta get your panties in a wad. There is plenty of scientific evidence that supports what I said. Other then telling the difference between a juvenile and an adult there is no way to tell if a turkey is 2 or 3 or even 8 years old.

Jcalder

How many of those turkeys came in with a temp tag on it? The lady at the store had no clue about the tag before you drag rule change. She asked why I didn't let her check in my kills and I told her I'd be in violation if I brought there to check it in. Honestly, I don't much care for the new rules or ways of doing it, but using an online check in is so much simpler if you never had a check in place close anyway.

Setterman

Your response shows ignorance. Please enlighten us on how to properly age a turkey?
Exactly identifying a birds age is a challenge sometimes but most times you can get a pretty good idea.

I would be willing to bet that Huntaholic has killed more turkeys in his life than most will even make a call it.

If anyone is ignorant it's probably you

knightrider

If people are still using a checking station they're in violation. Pretty sure I know the store and I called them out on it when the regulations first changed when I stopped by to weigh a deer I had killed. They were clueless.
Your not in violation if you use the paper temporary tag!! End of discussion not your decision how they do it anyway

Jcalder

There's zero doubt. The poor guy was just making a point some nice birds were checked in, and you had to go be a hall monitor in the thread.
I don't give a hoot if they check them in or not, but it's pretty evident people don't realize the regs have changed. Check in stations are a thing of the past unfortunately. Not saying you can't use one with a temp tag but I doubt they had any on them.

Team Yuma

I don't give a hoot if they check them in or not, but it's pretty evident people don't realize the regs have changed. Check in stations are a thing of the past unfortunately. Not saying you can't use one with a temp tag but I doubt they had any on them.

There are places in TN that still do not have internet. Hall monitor!

Huntaholic

Its not hardly worth the effort, you what they say, never argue with an idiot, a stranger passing by might not be able to tell who is who. HOWEVER, with that said, it goes back to what I said about experience and knowledge about the PARTICULAR area you are hunting. Take for example say, Catoosa. I cut my teeth and learned how to hunt turkeys there and I still say if you can kill a limit there, ( yeah, way back in the stone age the limit was 2 statewide and 2 WMA) you can kill turkeys ANYWHERE. In all my years hunting there I only killled 1 or 2 birds that broke 20lbs or had over 1 1/8" spurs. Does that mean all I ever killed was 3yr olds or less? ABSOLUTELY not. Now lets go to FL. Ive killed several birds in FL that had 1.5" or better spurs. Does that mean they were 21 years old? Again, absolutely not. Now lets go to NE and kill some Merriams. Ive probably had my hands or eyes on close to 50 dead birds out there, only ONE was over 1" spurs and never seen a beard over 9" from the area I hunt. Typically the BOSS gobbler, you know, the one with the harem of hens? It would push him to have spurs half an inch long. Does that mean he was a jake? LMAO again, ABSOLUTELY not.
Your username is Fast Learner, you'd better be one if you want to try to educate or challenge me when it comes to a turkey. I dont post a lot on here, but you can bet your ass when I do, I know what Im talking about.

Fast Learner

Its not hardly worth the effort, you what they say, never argue with an idiot, a stranger passing by might not be able to tell who is who. HOWEVER, with that said, it goes back to what I said about experience and knowledge about the PARTICULAR area you are hunting. Take for example say, Catoosa. I cut my teeth and learned how to hunt turkeys there and I still say if you can kill a limit there, ( yeah, way back in the stone age the limit was 2 statewide and 2 WMA) you can kill turkeys ANYWHERE. In all my years hunting there I only killled 1 or 2 birds that broke 20lbs or had over 1 1/8" spurs. Does that mean all I ever killed was 3yr olds or less? ABSOLUTELY not. Now lets go to FL. Ive killed several birds in FL that had 1.5" or better spurs. Does that mean they were 21 years old? Again, absolutely not. Now lets go to NE and kill some Merriams. Ive probably had my hands or eyes on close to 50 dead birds out there, only ONE was over 1" spurs and never seen a beard over 9" from the area I hunt. Typically the BOSS gobbler, you know, the one with the harem of hens? It would push him to have spurs half an inch long. Does that mean he was a jake? LMAO again, ABSOLUTELY not.
Your username is Fast Learner, you'd better be one if you want to try to educate or challenge me when it comes to a turkey. I dont post a lot on here, but you can bet your ass when I do, I know what Im talking about.
First of all thanks for the enlightenment on all your turkey success. Killing turkeys doesn't quite qualify you as a biologist! Nobody can identify the actual age of a turkey past 2 years old unless it has some sort of band/chip. Just like most all animals the dominant creature isn't always the oldest/most mature. All of the identifiable features a turkey has can grow or regrow if broken or damaged. I'm not starting a war with you but to call someone ignorant over aging a turkey is also another form of enlightenment on your part.

Latest posts