Very unofficial turkey count

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
We traveled from South Fulton to Tim's Ford state park and around Lynchburg and back this week.
On the road from 10:30 am to 3:00 pm going and from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm coming back.

Trip up I saw 0 turkey.
Saw one gobbler and one hen just outside of Lynchburg the second day we were there.
Coming back going around 840 in Hickman county maybe??? Saw a field with about 15 hens and 4 strutters.

I would have to say numbers are down.
Normally see a bunch around Huntingdon but not this time.

TheLBLman

I think there was above average nesting success statewide in 2022, but, that just means we have more young birds this year.

The number of longbearded Toms remains relatively low compared to times past (particularly in formerly good areas for lots of turkeys).

If not for turkeys expanding more into suburban areas, along with hunters killing a much higher percentage of the standing Toms, I believe the statewide kill would be WAY down.

cbhunter

We traveled from South Fulton to Tim's Ford state park and around Lynchburg and back this week.
On the road from 10:30 am to 3:00 pm going and from 8:30 am to 1:00 pm coming back.

Trip up I saw 0 turkey.
Saw one gobbler and one hen just outside of Lynchburg the second day we were there.
Coming back going around 840 in Hickman county maybe??? Saw a field with about 15 hens and 4 strutters.

I would have to say numbers are down.
Normally see a bunch around Huntingdon but not this time.
Carroll county numbers are wayyyy down

CHRIS WILSON

I've seen quite a bunch in the last few months while out and about. Locally, I've seen several Toms out strutting in the last few weeks. Seems like they're doing fairly well around here.

TheLBLman

That would be awesome. I have accepted I will never experience that again. But maybe we will.
Hard to guess.

Back when we experienced such, there were a lot fewer turkey hunters, and their experience at killing turkeys was relatively low, AND the limit was 2 birds.

Maybe between the delayed opening and going back to the 2-bird limit,
it's possible to get back to the turkeys thriving.

ZachMarkus

The trend I've noticed is that birds are in pockets now... a small area with a ton of birds, then nothing around for miles.... we need to figure out what those pockets have in common!
Let me know when you figure it out. There are a couple places I know that are absolutely loaded with turkeys, terrible nesting habitat and tremendous hunting pressure in those areas and birds are thriving. Then there's places in the same general area that have prime nesting and turkey habitat and not much hunting pressure compared that have very few turkeys if any. Doesn't make any sense to me.

muddyboots

Let me know when you figure it out. There are a couple places I know that are absolutely loaded with turkeys, terrible nesting habitat and tremendous hunting pressure in those areas and birds are thriving. Then there's places in the same general area that have prime nesting and turkey habitat and not much hunting pressure compared that have very few turkeys if any. Doesn't make any sense to me.
This
We walked 9 miles in 2 days. Worst hunting I've ever had. Property east of us is unreal. Not a lot of pressure in either place.

Clintos1980

I just started in 2020, and it does seem like I'm seeing less birds in Dickson/Cheatham county this year. Can't say I paid much attention before I started. I've never seen one on public land around here, only private. With that said, my 11 year old son got his first one ever on Saturday. Looks to be a 2-year old tom.

TheLBLman

I have a theory of possible, partial explanation:

The geographic relationship to these "pockets" of birds
to the seasonal range-shifting of those birds.

Turkeys tend to flock up in the winter, and shift to other areas often several miles from where most will nest & breed (spring & summer). I see large flocks of male birds in the winter (not uncommon to see over 20 longbeards in a single flock, or at least at use to not be uncommon) in a relatively small area, surrounding by many square miles essentially void of bearded (adult) Toms.

Hens & their young flocks (half of which are young jakes) also "flock up" for winter, may or may not range-shift as much as adult males.

Major range-shifting back to the spring-summer areas typically happens in much of TN between mid-March and mid-April. The flocks break up, the birds scatter.

It is plausible that those birds in the poorer habitat areas range-shifted in from the opposite direction of those nearby areas with better habitat. The birds are simply not aware the grass is greener on the other side of that fence.

jb3

I live in Dickson County and so far this year I've had no problem seeing birds and a lot of them. I've seen huge numbers on properties adjacent to the park and the surrounding areas small groups of birds.

Urban_Hunter

The trend I've noticed is that birds are in pockets now... a small area with a ton of birds, then nothing around for miles.... we need to figure out what those pockets have in common!
This!

No one hunts them around me. Hardly a bird around. 1 mile down the road is one of the densest flocks ive ever seen. I've counted over 100 in a 30 acre field. They're concentrated there and once you get 1/4 mile from there it's like the barrens.

I see the same on my other farms. What seems like very healthy flocks here or there, and nothing around them