venison stew....please help!

FULLDRAWXX75

er,

I posted the below recipe in the deer roast thread, it is just as easily adaptable for stew as well, just substitue the stew meat for the roast.( I place some flour, paprika, garlic powder & blk pepper in a ziplock baggy and coat the meat before browning)

In a large stock pot or I prefer a cast iron dutch oven:

Place 2 T of olive oil in the pot and heat up, salt & pepper the roast and place in hot oil to sear the meat on all sides. Remove roast and place in a crock pot (cover and follow remaining steps below)

I the same pot:

3 T olive oil
1 lg onion (rough chopped)
2-3 carrots (washed and cut to size of choice)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic (cook's choice on amount)

Cook down until veggies are nearly done, slightly hard yet

Add:

1 lg can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of beef/brown gravy
6 red potatoes (diced w/skins on)
Seasonings of choice (I like some sw. basil and a dash or two of crushed red pepper)
mushrooms (cooks choice on style)

Simmer for @ 20 mins then transfer/pour over the roast in the crock pot. I do this in the morning and let it simmer on low all day and serve it for dinner with a nice skillet of fresh beer bread. (I got the the bread recipe from someone on this site, awesome)

You can add different ingredients if you like, such as corn, beans, etc. Also, season to cooks tastes.

FDXX75

basset

long cooking at low temperature is important... we will sometimes put a beef or venison roast in the oven at 250 and leave it overnight.

the stew recipe looks pretty much like mine except that I use an English powdered gravy mix called "Bisto," Harris Teeter has it and I think Kroger as well, probably Publix too.

use beans in place of the potatoes, leave out the carrots and celery and add some chili spices, you have chili.

Latest posts