Venison Pastrami

TAFKAP

So with my corned venison from the other day, I took a 3~ish pound chunk and coated it in seasonings to make a pastrami. I've only sliced up a wonky side muscle to try it, and the pepper is pretty powerful. I think I'm going to knock off a bit of the coating before I start slicing it. But I lightly smoked it on Monday night with apple and maple chunks. Refrigerated it overnight, and attempted steaming it in the oven. In reality, it roasted for 5 hours over a pan of hot water. The taste is great, but too peppery.....and if I'm saying that, it really is.

toasted 4 tbsp Telicherry peppercorns with 2 tbsp of coriander seeds
grind in coffee grinder to a coarse powder
pulverize the grind in a mortar & pestle for a more uniform rub
mix in 1/2 tsp of mustard powder, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tbsp kosher salt

Coat liberally and press into the meat. Probably a little too liberally, but hey.....

Smoke for 3 hours & chill overnight

"Steam" for 5 hours & chill overnight.

I'll slice it up tonight and decide what the fate will be.

54730992_940716260475_1860927806582554624_n.jpg

Bone Collector

TAFKAP":2t97bysa said:
So with my corned venison from the other day, I took a 3~ish pound chunk and coated it in seasonings to make a pastrami. I've only sliced up a wonky side muscle to try it, and the pepper is pretty powerful. I think I'm going to knock off a bit of the coating before I start slicing it. But I lightly smoked it on Monday night with apple and maple chunks. Refrigerated it overnight, and attempted steaming it in the oven. In reality, it roasted for 5 hours over a pan of hot water. The taste is great, but too peppery.....and if I'm saying that, it really is.

toasted 4 tbsp Telicherry peppercorns with 2 tbsp of coriander seeds
grind in coffee grinder to a coarse powder
pulverize the grind in a mortar & pestle for a more uniform rub
mix in 1/2 tsp of mustard powder, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and 1 tbsp kosher salt

Coat liberally and press into the meat. Probably a little too liberally, but hey.....

Smoke for 3 hours & chill overnight

"Steam" for 5 hours & chill overnight.

I'll slice it up tonight and decide what the fate will be.

54730992_940716260475_1860927806582554624_n.jpg

Do smoke it and steam it or you just offering two options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts