venison jerky recipe

iowavf

I use High Country jerky mix. I cut my deer about 1/4" think slices, follow the directions for mixing and use my electric smoker with no wood chips until they're done. Just need to watch because smaller pieces are done sooner.

DaveB

We never use the cure from any source because I do not like that flavor at all. We also use the jerky guns. We never use salt. I have used the mixes, particularly High Country. I prefer my own mix BUT you can use them combined if you like.

Worcestershire. about a teaspoon per pound minimum. COSTCO has the ultra large bottle, I always get 4.
Mrs. Dash's no salt Garlic & Herb. A teaspoon per pound. Online is best source because of price I get the largest size and order 3 or 4 at a time.
mushed garlic clove. We have a chopper that creates mush if you run it too long and shake it while it is running. its by Black&Decker
fresh ground pepper to taste. Have also used Kroger Smidge & Spoon crushed red pepper and Cajun seasoning.
I really like to add a whole mushed White onion if adding red pepper stuff otherwise yellow onion.

So we coarse grind the meat we want to use. Then season with above and mix together really good then fine grind. Then refrigerate 24 hours. Then load the shooters and go. Crunchy or chewy is a matter of cook time which can be dependent upon your skill with the jerky gun.

Yes, I refrigerate the finished product. Wouldn't matter, we have been known to go through 3 does (except backstraps) of jerky a year

Speedwell-Hunter

We never use the cure from any source because I do not like that flavor at all. We also use the jerky guns. We never use salt. I have used the mixes, particularly High Country. I prefer my own mix BUT you can use them combined if you like.

Worcestershire. about a teaspoon per pound minimum. COSTCO has the ultra large bottle, I always get 4.
Mrs. Dash's no salt Garlic & Herb. A teaspoon per pound. Online is best source because of price I get the largest size and order 3 or 4 at a time.
mushed garlic clove. We have a chopper that creates mush if you run it too long and shake it while it is running. its by Black&Decker
fresh ground pepper to taste. Have also used Kroger Smidge & Spoon crushed red pepper and Cajun seasoning.
I really like to add a whole mushed White onion if adding red pepper stuff otherwise yellow onion.

So we coarse grind the meat we want to use. Then season with above and mix together really good then fine grind. Then refrigerate 24 hours. Then load the shooters and go. Crunchy or chewy is a matter of cook time which can be dependent upon your skill with the jerky gun.

Yes, I refrigerate the finished product. Wouldn't matter, we have been known to go through 3 does (except backstraps) of jerky a year
thanks Dave!

MUP

Can't remember the exact proportions, but I use garlic powder, onion powder, coarse black ground pepper, Dale's low sodium sauce, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and a little liquid smoke. When I let it soak for 2-3 hours I'll then lay it out on the dehydrator and sprinkle mesquite flakes over the top and let it dry. It's usually gone within a couple days afterwards.

Omega

Like @DaveB, I like the Jerky Shooter, but order the spice/cure from Nesco (cheaper direct from them). I like it because it is premeasured for 1lb of meat, which is how I package my ground venison. I get out 5 or 6 lbs of venison for a batchto fill the dehydrator and each lb comes out the same since I mix each pound individually. I tried the other flavors but really like the spicy so order it in bulk.

AT Hiker

Ground jerky is for people who pee sitting down.

Days when my Y chromosome is feeling sensitive I'll make jerky by slicing across grain and using a basic recipe like @TX300mag mentioned. I'll use a hickory smoke if I add sweetener to the recipe, like maple syrup/honey with some jalapeno powder.

Man days and when the dentist appointment is 6 months away, I'll cut along the grain.

I also use pink salt, I figure that the risk is worth it. I don't eat jerky but a few times a year and when I do its usually left in my car or backpack for a week+.

SALTMAN

AT , you will be there some day so skip the prodding !
I grind mine cause it's easier to chew and pick outta your teeth . Also you get uniformity . Have used both hi country and hi mountain . Prefer the ladder . Still a little salty so the next batch will have the cure cut in half . Made jerk and sticks , prefer the ladder . Not worried much about the cure since I vacuum pack and freeze . Once I thaw a package it doesn't last long enough to go bad . Going to try hitemp pepperjack cheese in next batch.
want a little smoke , put some chips in a short can ( like but not tuna can ) light with a torch and put on bottom shelf in dehydrater. Doesn't take much and it will go out by itself . Will however set off smoke alarms if you do it in your closed garage .

UCStandSitter

Can't remember the exact proportions, but I use garlic powder, onion powder, coarse black ground pepper, Dale's low sodium sauce, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and a little liquid smoke. When I let it soak for 2-3 hours I'll then lay it out on the dehydrator and sprinkle mesquite flakes over the top and let it dry. It's usually gone within a couple days afterwards.
Mine is similar. I don't even bother dehydrating. I just smoke it. It doesn't last long enough to bother with the dehydrator. The last batch I made I had two gallon zip loc bags 3/4 full. Was two does worth of jerky minus tenderloins and backstraps. We munched on one bag till it was gone (about half a day for the whole fam). Went to get out the second bag the next morning and it was missing. Started questioning the girls. Turns out my lil 75lb youngest daughter took it to her room the night before. When she brought it down there was nothing but scraps. I don't know how she passed all that! lol

DaveB

Am I the only one lets the ground meat marinate for 24 hours????

You oughta give it a try. Cover it with saran-wrap stuff. I was surprised at the flavor difference it made

Latest posts