Venison Daube: French Venison Stew

TAFKAP

This was the fourth year in a row I've made this dish for our "night before the marathon" dinner. It's loaded with flavor, simple to make, and provides ample and long-lasting energy for the massive physical exertion the next day. Served over baked sweet potatoes, this is just a perfect and complete meal. Serve with your favorite red wine. But in the spirit of the French origin of this dish, I always get a bottle of Cotes du Rhone. The bottle in the picture was $17, and it was delicious. Aerate it into a decanter first, and pour from it for best flavor.

Here's the link to the recipe. Plan ahead for this one, since it requires cooking & preparing the marinade the night before. Once that's done, it's a fire & forget.

http://www.startribune.com/recipe-venis ... 233316921/
*personal note: we leave the olives out because I'm the only one that likes them. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how they'd work in this recipe anyway*

15284162_794608002595_178774900396021039_n.jpg

TAFKAP

Poser":1xj9vru4 said:
I rode my bike to work Saturday morning in the rain because my house was completely boxed in by the race. I looked for you the whole time as I rode down North Parkway but didn't see you. What was funny was the amount of people severely overdressed. It was 50 degrees and I saw people in coveralls with ski masks on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw lots of bikes on NPKWY, but most were riding with the crowd. The only overdressed people I saw were the Los Angeles firemen in full turnout gear (plus O2 tanks) and some chick that was wearing a reindeer outfit. Those firemen were some badasss dudes.

Because of the stiff wind and spitting rain, it was hard to dress for. I got lucky and finished before the rain settled in, but there were numerous people at the end with hypothermic symptoms setting in.

TAFKAP

JimFromTN":1c5hmg0a said:
Do you actually use the 3 different cuts of meat?

No, I didn't butcher mine that way. It was more a "lets see what'll thaw out of these unlabeled packages!" smorgasbord. I hacked apart a small rack of ribs, and one package was mostly brisket & rib plate trimmings. There was also a flat front shoulder roast I cut up in there, as well. But I've never cross-cut shanks from any of my deer. I usually translate the recipe to 2lbs of whatever leg muscle I deem worthy for the stew. In all reality, I probably had closer to 2.5 or 3lbs of meat in mine, but I sort of 150% increased the recipe.

Latest posts