Venice, LA fishing

Crow Terminator

I know some of you guys go regularly and or have been.

This is on my list next year. I've never been but I absolutely love catching specks and redfish. I like the specks a little more but have fun with either.

I'm looking for recommendations on places to stay and guides to go with. My searching for lodging has only found me places that host big corporate style events with larger parties. This will just be for 2 people. I don't need anything fancy...but don't want a begbug hotel either. Furnished food would be a bonus...not a necessity, unless there aren't any places to eat around there. I am totally unfamiliar with the area...haven't even been to Louisiana before. Thanks in advance.

7mm08

I was booked for last week with VOODOO fishing charters. I and my son were going inshore and offshore for two days. I was also booked to stay at the Lighthouse. We had to cancel because of Hurricane Delta. Bummed out Give them a call.

megalomaniac

If you are only going for specks and reds, strongly consider going to Hopedale instead of Venice if during the fall or winter. Charters will be much cheaper, and you can stay in nice hotels in Chalmette, or can stay in Hopedale with lesser accommodations. Delacroix would be a close 2nd.

If you are going offshore in addition to specks and reds, Venice is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

fullstream

Are you bringing a boat or doing a charter?
If your bringing a boat getting a houseboat off Vrbo is pretty cool but it can be pricey. It's nice to just step off the houseboat and onto your boat.

The lighthouse hotel is about 2-3 miles from cypress cove and Venice marina. I have stayed there quite a few times and it's a good hotel.

Reelshot & Venice guide seem to be the best inshore guides as I follow most of em on Instagram and they flat out produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crow Terminator

I would be going with a charter/guide.

Preferably, not on one of those party size boats. The inshore trips I have done in other places, there were options for just 2 people on the boat because they were small 25' center console boats. I don't want to be on a boat with a bunch of people I don't know. I'm still very much researching the place. I've done offshore once and didn't like it at all...but it may have been because we trolled. All we got to do was sit there til a rod went down and we took turns trying to reel them in before the dolphins got to the fish you had hooked. Inshore has always been funner to me because I'm actually casting for fish. Have never tried eating a redfish or trout but I hear they are decent.

fullstream

Definitely none of the big "head boats" out of Venice.
The inshore you can take up to 4 but they charge for over 2. Typical is $650ish.
I did an inshore on my first trip to get familiar with the area and now just keep my boat there oct-April (bay boat)
The offshore range from $2000 to $3000 and up to 6 can go. Most of the big boys down there all catch a ton of fish. They usually only troll for wahoo in wintertime as tuna is normally live bait or chunking.
I'm very fortunate that my buddy keeps his big catamaran down there as well so we use his for offshore and mine for inshore.

Both redfish & trout are very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grnwing

I've started doing a couple trips a year down to Hopedale and have been really pleased fishing the marsh for reds and trout. I trailer a boat down but would recommend calling either Hopedale Marina or OCampos. Very friendly and more than happy to point you in the right direction. I'm sure they could connect with you a reputable guide and accommodations.

fishboy1

Venice is great but if you are going after trout/reds and not going offshore then Hopedale and pointauxchen will be much better and probably less expensive.
Nothing like pitching a Baby-1 and waking it across the top of a shallow marsh pond while a big red hammers it on the surface !

Crow Terminator

That's why I like this site so much. I have never heard of the other places mentioned! I had just always heard Venice was the place to go. Offshore just really didn't do anything for me but as said...it may have just been because we trolled.

I've been after reds and specks twice....the first time we threw topwater Spooks all morning. Had some great blowups and caught a bunch of numbers of fish. This was out of Pensacola. The next trip was in the winter for the big bull reds. We got several over 40" that day and then the wind got up so we went into the bays and fished for trout with jerkbaits and some with shrimp. We didn't catch big numbers but had several trout 25-26 inches. Those are fun for sure.

Jmed

There is nothing but a Marina in Venice. Check out Grande Isle. I was there a few weeks before the last storm. We pulled a boat and fished off shore for 4 days. Lots more to do and stay in Grande Isle as well as nicer accommodations. We stayed at Bay side marina. It was cheap and nice.

Latest posts