Vaccum Sealer

FULLDRAWXX75

I have used one for over 10 yrs now, there is no other way to process venison as quickly and freezer protected.

I use mine constantly for everything around the house, I buy bulk and split it up into smaller portions. I use it to seal items for kayaking trips that I need to stay dry until I get to my camp locations, etc.

I should have bought one 25 yrs ago............

FDXX75

Rowdy

Hmmmm....no advice, but glad you pointed that out.

Been want'n to get one, and now I know a little better what to look for.

Wildcat

Stovepipe said:
mine is starting to piss me off

maybe it's the generic bags I used.

The tube of bags on the rolls were not sealed at the end. Just a length of tube and you cut your own bag to size.

well.....my Foodsaver machine, won't apply a heat seam until it has established a vacuum. Impossible with a roll of bags and the end isn't preseamed.

WTH am I supposed to do? Some advice,

The machine is suppose to have a seal button and a vaccum button. I've always been able to seal one end before putting in the food.

How old is you vaccum? Maybe something is wrong with it.

FULLDRAWXX75

Stovepipe,

Are you cutting to length first?

If so, don't...................seal the end on the roll first, the sealer will pull a vacuum on the entire roll then go to the heat seal mode.

I use nothing but uncut roll material in mine with no problems, one other thing to check on the older units is the foam gasket........make sure it is completely in place and sealing with the lid. I take mine out every so often, wash it and flip it over to make sure it seals good.

My unit is at least 10-12 yrs old, Food Saver w/o frills.

FDXX75

JimFromTN

I have had them and don't care for them. The reason I don't care for them is because sometimes they will lose the vaccum seal and then whatever is in it gets freezer burned. I have seen this happen with meat that was professionally processed so I know it isn't just me. My brother lived in AK and used to send us wild game and salmon that had been processed professionally and it wasn't uncommon for several of the bags to lose their seal.

FULLDRAWXX75

JimFromTN said:
I have had them and don't care for them. The reason I don't care for them is because sometimes they will lose the vaccum seal and then whatever is in it gets freezer burned. I have seen this happen with meat that was professionally processed so I know it isn't just me. My brother lived in AK and used to send us wild game and salmon that had been processed professionally and it wasn't uncommon for several of the bags to lose their seal.

I will agree, nothing is 100% all the time, but it sure beats the pants off plasic wrap and butcher paper 10 fold. In all the yrs I have been using mine I can count the number of times I lost vacuum on a package on one hand. I stick with them odds all day long.

I have found the reason some bags loose vacuum is during the process, liquid or food compromised the area the seal was made, a lot of times liquid will get drawn up the bag and then sealed, once frozen the liquid forces the seal apart causing the failure.

I will place a folded paper towel in the end of the bag below the seal line if I have an item with excessive liquid to stop it from reaching the top, works well.

FDXX75

JimFromTN

Freezer paper does not bother me. I have been using it for 25 years and I am allot faster with it than I am with a vacume sealer. I have never had meat go bad using freezer paper. I ate some meat that was labeled 2004 that I found buried in my freezer not that long ago and it was fine.

DntBrnDPig

The one I linked I got this morning in the mail. Its awesome.

It comes with the following too.
* 1 � 11�x 10' Roll
* 5 � Gal Bags
* 2.25 Qt Marinating Canister
* 1 - Quart Round Canister
* 24oz. Lunch and Leftover Container

All for $80

FULLDRAWXX75

Holy (@%*#&) !!!!!!!!!

If anyone was think about purchasing one, this is the deal of the decade for sure. The extra's that come with the sealer cost more to purchase seperately than the entired package.

I just ordered one myself, my current sealer is over 10-12 yrs old and will probably crap out the day after an offer like this one expires, knowing my luck.

medic

Stovepipe said:

The tube of bags on the rolls were not sealed at the end. Just a length of tube and you cut your own bag to size.

well.....my Foodsaver machine, won't apply a heat seam until it has established a vacuum. Impossible with a roll of bags and the end isn't preseamed.

On my first one it did not have the seal only button. I just placed the bag end on the heat strip and not in the area that pulls vacum. close the lid and let the machine pull enough vacum on it's self to stop and seal the bag.

FULLDRAWXX75

medic said:
Stovepipe said:

On my first one it did not have the seal only button. I just placed the bag end on the heat strip and not in the area that pulls vacum. close the lid and let the machine pull enough vacum on it's self to stop and seal the bag.

Another thing you can do is fold the roll over itself once or twice and push down on the folds the cause a blockage.

FDXX75

TX300mag

I use mine for whole backstraps/pork loins every once in a while, but mine pretty much stays in the pantry.

I use the Ziplock quart and gallon vacuum bags with the hand pump. MUCH cheaper for the bags, they're resealable, and I can get just as good a seal with the $3 hand pump.