Utah hunt applications in

LanceS4803

I did my annual lesson in frustration by applying for all my Utah hunts.
Limited Entry Mule Deer
Pronghorn
Elk
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Bison
Mountain Goat
Moose
and for good measure, a Bonus Point for bear.

Although there is a possibility of Pronghorn, I fully expect to get nothing, except another nice donation to Utah Department of Natural Resources

LanceS4803

AT, take note that they changed up the hunt #s this year. While close to what they were last year, be sure and double check that the number you select matches the actual area you want. Don't go off last years info.
If I move back to UT, I will be in excellent shape with my points!!

LanceS4803

I've got 11 for LE deer and bison, with 5 of those earned while a Resident. 6 in all other categories. (Can only get one Once in a Lifetime point a year. I elected to go with Bison.)
With LE deer, I could get a good LE area in my hunting lifetime. A Premium area is statistically not possible.
OIL hunts are just playing the lottery, at $10 a ticket. We all tell ourselves, "Well, someone has to win, right?" Take a look at buffalo (Henry Mtns), there are 102 people ahead of me and only 2 buffalo a year available. Of those, only 1 person get picked at the top of the list. So, unless a lottery draw, I can get drawn in 204 years.

LanceS4803

From talking to my UT hunting partner, those are going to next to impossible to get. He thinks they will go for big points.

AT Hiker

LanceS4803":3tiljkol said:
From talking to my UT hunting partner, those are going to next to impossible to get. He thinks they will go for big points.

Maybe that will lessen the point creep on other units?

Got everything submitted this morning. It would be sweet to score a elk muzzle loader tag this year. Those dates with the moon phase could produce some serious bugling rut hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

We do MZ for LE deer every year. Much better odds.
I would love to try with bow, even better odds and more intense, but the scouting required for that just isn't going to happen.

The points creep is getting crazy. More and more added each year.

Crosshairy

If you are just intending to buy points every year for the time being, what's that cost you for a state like Utah?

I've been thinking about starting that same process for a few states as well, but haven't started.

LanceS4803

To buy points in UT, you have to first buy a NR license, which is $65.
If you time it right you can two years worth of points on one license (the license just has to be active at the time of point buy/application). Buy your license towards the end of the application period, end of Feb, then buy points. The next year, buy your points at the beginning of the application period, while your license is still good. That way you only have to buy a hunting license every 2 years. BUT, if you draw a tag on an expired license, just make sure to get the regular hunting license before you go.

You really need to check this website, they track points success every year for ID and UT. His stats can be a yeard old, but historical is easy to use.
http://www.biggamedrawodds.com/

UT has excellent data on draw odds as well.
http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in...me/1468-big-game-statistics-drawing-odds.html

What UT doesn't have is modern harvest reporting. They don't have on-line check in and harvest stas are done at the end of the year in random phone surveys.

AT Hiker

Something different about UT, in regards to deer, is that you can accumulate both bonus and preference points. Bonus are for LE units and preference is for general units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk