Using Gun Powder in a Muzzleloader

Smo

I could never figure out why anyone needed too use 150 grns of powder in a muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore for that matter.

Kinda' like why do you need a boat that runs 80 mph too catch a bass...

I would never use any kind of modern smokeless powder in my guns , as they are not built too withstand those kind of pressure.
Even though they are made with modern steel and have thicker breech areas than most modern inline guns.

They are still designated as for black powder only.

The modern smokeless gun , I personally would not shoot.

Most accidents I've heard of were from short starting a gun or improper powder or excessive amounts of powder for the specific gun being used.

trsmith

Jedman on CastBoolits posted about using the same 4198 smokeless powder and how to develop a safe load using a weak cartridge load as a guide.

"There are many inline muzzleloaders that would be safe to shoot with smokeless powder at shotgun pressures but your on your own for loading data. Many quality muzzleloader barrels are 4140 steel and would be perfectly safe but you wount get the manufacturer to ever say it's safe. Load data I have seen for the Savage smokeless MZ would scare the hell out of me even in their rifles. If I were to experiment using smokeless in a quality inline with 209 primers I would never use a full bore size bullet . Always use a sabot, compare what you are loading to something similar in a lower pressure cartridge then start a little lower. For example say you have a 45 cal. muzzleloader and want to shoot a 40 cal. boolit at lower pressure - think of the 38-40 cartridge with smokeless load data. Using a slower powder such as I 4198 or R 7 you can load whatever will fit in a 38-40 case with a 200 gr. Lead bullet and be within sammi limits and get reasonably hi velocities.
I am not giving any load recommendations but whatever velocities are possible with black powder and a given weight of boolit it is possible to duplicate or improve upon with smokeless at the same pressures.
Myself and several other I know have done quite a bit of testing smokeless loads with slower burn rate powders and realize we are in uncharted waters but don't push it for anything near what they say a Savage is capable of and have not had any indications we are stressing the gun."

And:

"Not to get to far off topic of this thread but it is still kinda the same thing is I took a early H&R 58 cal. Huntsman muzzleloader and lathe bored the breech end of the barrel to use 24 ga. shotgun hulls. It is shot with smokeless powder in a plastic hull with either a 54 cal. lead round ball in a 24 ga. Plastic wad or with a Lyman hollow based 58 cal. mini ball and roll crimped.
It is a proven pig killer ! "

See Posts #27 & #28: --->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-In-Line-Muzzleloaders&p=5002266#post5002266
4198 is not a slow burning powder just the opposite

trsmith

Jedman on CastBoolits posted about using the same 4198 smokeless powder and how to develop a safe load using a weak cartridge load as a guide.

"There are many inline muzzleloaders that would be safe to shoot with smokeless powder at shotgun pressures but your on your own for loading data. Many quality muzzleloader barrels are 4140 steel and would be perfectly safe but you wount get the manufacturer to ever say it's safe. Load data I have seen for the Savage smokeless MZ would scare the hell out of me even in their rifles. If I were to experiment using smokeless in a quality inline with 209 primers I would never use a full bore size bullet . Always use a sabot, compare what you are loading to something similar in a lower pressure cartridge then start a little lower. For example say you have a 45 cal. muzzleloader and want to shoot a 40 cal. boolit at lower pressure - think of the 38-40 cartridge with smokeless load data. Using a slower powder such as I 4198 or R 7 you can load whatever will fit in a 38-40 case with a 200 gr. Lead bullet and be within sammi limits and get reasonably hi velocities.
I am not giving any load recommendations but whatever velocities are possible with black powder and a given weight of boolit it is possible to duplicate or improve upon with smokeless at the same pressures.
Myself and several other I know have done quite a bit of testing smokeless loads with slower burn rate powders and realize we are in uncharted waters but don't push it for anything near what they say a Savage is capable of and have not had any indications we are stressing the gun."

And:

"Not to get to far off topic of this thread but it is still kinda the same thing is I took a early H&R 58 cal. Huntsman muzzleloader and lathe bored the breech end of the barrel to use 24 ga. shotgun hulls. It is shot with smokeless powder in a plastic hull with either a 54 cal. lead round ball in a 24 ga. Plastic wad or with a Lyman hollow based 58 cal. mini ball and roll crimped.
It is a proven pig killer ! "

See Posts #27 & #28: --->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-In-Line-Muzzleloaders&p=5002266#post5002266
4198 is not a slow burning powder just the opposite

Latest posts