Uncle Josh pork frogs

NAjoe

The zoom baits thread reminded me and i hadn't seen it mentioned here. Down at the icast thing last month, it was reported that uncle josh was gonna start producing pork frogs again. And all the winter fisherman all over are rejoicing. :) Back in the day, we always threw pork chunks in cold weather and switched to plastic trailers with warmer water.

Carlos

I've thrown then a lot, never caught 1 single fish on those things!
Lots of guys swear by them, but they just never worked for me.

Jmed

I dunno why, but its the best night time spinner bait trailer. Ive had my best luck at night with those on a spinner bait and I wish I knew why, but have seen them outfish other trailers by a long shot

sll

It is a good thing that they are back because the old die-hards have been willing to pay $15 a jar for them the last 4-5 years.

TNReb

I was listening to a podcast with some folks in the fishing industry/media and a pro fisherman. He said the issue with the Uncle Josh pork trailers now days is that the hogs are raised in a manner that they have much less fat attached to the skin now days than they used to. He said the problem wasn't getting skins, it was getting the right kind of skins necessary to make the trailer properly.

I grew up fishing nothing but a black plastic worm, so I've never even thrown them - but I'm curious to see the new ones.

NAjoe

Yeah a black colorado bladed spinner bait with a #11 black frog or 1/4oz black/blue bear hair jig with a black/blue #101 frog were nite time killers here on the tenn river.

mike243

Back when I was a young man I was taken night fishing by a old codger from Smithville Tn. He built rods and was a really great guy, Center hill lake no moon no stars and I couldn't see the banks, I would have to ask how far to cast lol, we wore the small mouth out using pig n jig , for what ever reason I don't think I ever used them again, grape colored plastic worms 6-10" became my favorite weapon for bass, may have to revisit that for some hump fishing on Norris

sll

The thing with the big plastic worms is you are mostly limiting yourself to the largemouth bite. Smallmouth will actively take on a 4 inch worm, centipede, fish doctor, finesse worm, ned, etc.....but they don't really readily hit the bigger worms. Oh, you will occasionally catch one on them but in these highland reservoirs in East TN where both species of both LM and SM are populated you will put the odds in your favor with the SM at night on a jig over a big worm. My real-world observation anyways....

Smo

Bingo!

D9114229-EEB4-455E-8D22-283EC5AC5A94.jpeg

hillbillyfab

This brings back memories for me. I think a spoon and an Uncle Josh pork trailer was the first artificial bait I ever threw as a young man. Grandpa always had a jar of these in his cantilevered lid tackle box. He was the one that tied one on for me and told me where to cast. 🎣

Rollo

It is a good thing that they are back because the old die-hards have been willing to pay $15 a jar for them the last 4-5 years.
Well a local fishing supply company told me the new ones were still going to be $10 a bottle (for 4 baits). Way more expensive than they were back in the day. Glad I kept mine.

sll

Anyone remember the Strike King Pork-o's? I caught some BIG bass on those things.
Yea, remember them well.....caught some good fish on them too. Strike King use to put out the Bo-Hawg Frog also and I preferred those over the Uncle Josh pigs on flipping jigs. Still have several jars of them.

Latest posts