Fishing For Frogs

Mike Belt

I used to fish a couple of small ditches or creeks around here. For the most part they were clay bank creeks with much of the bank open. Many times I would be sitting on one side and bull frogs would swim to the far edge and hop up on the bank. For grins I'd cast up the bank and slowly retrieve my lure back down the bank to the water's edge and surprisingly, I caught a bunch of frogs doing this. For some reason they like red so I'd cut off a small piece of the tail of my shirt and wrap it around a hook and bam! Never set the world on fire but it was something different.

ZachMarkus

It's fun! I do it in my pond all the time. I use a ultra light spinning rod with 4 lb test. I take any kind of red plastic lure and tear a piece off and put it on a small hook. I just walk around the bank like i would when I'm gigging and I just dangle in in front of their face and they'll hit just about every time. I once used and 8" stick worm just for kicks and giggles and a frog swallowed the whole thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pressfit

I have caught 2. One one a slider and one on a Fred arbogast plug that had a buzz bait spinner in front of the plug.. a guy ones told me you could take a dry fly and swing it back and forth in front of a bull frog and he would hit it.. I tried and didn't have xby luck

Craddock1

Best I ever did I was fishing a rock quarry in Indiana many years ago. These huge bull frogs were everywhere. There is a season in Indiana and it was not the season. We only had cane poles to fish with. I tied a red string on a hook and would drop it near the frogs nose. It was an instant hit and the dangdest fight I had ever had. I put them in pillow cases and hid them in the bushes. I filled 2 pillow cases with frogs. I just cut the legs off the frogs and my wife fried them. The only place I had to dispose of the carcasses was the garbage can Three days later I was working in the yard and heard my wife screaming bloody murder down behind the garage. I ran down and all she cold say was frogs. I opened the can and every one of the frogs was crawling around with no hind legs. I promptly berried them in the yard.

WTM

Craddock1":1440n1ol said:
Best I ever did I was fishing a rock quarry in Indiana many years ago. These huge bull frogs were everywhere. There is a season in Indiana and it was not the season. We only had cane poles to fish with. I tied a red string on a hook and would drop it near the frogs nose. It was an instant hit and the dangdest fight I had ever had. I put them in pillow cases and hid them in the bushes. I filled 2 pillow cases with frogs. I just cut the legs off the frogs and my wife fried them. The only place I had to dispose of the carcasses was the garbage can Three days later I was working in the yard and heard my wife screaming bloody murder down behind the garage. I ran down and all she cold say was frogs. I opened the can and every one of the frogs was crawling around with no hind legs. I promptly berried them in the yard.

dude, that is funny right there! a bunch of legless frogs crawling around in the yard.

Creek

I remember catching Bullfrogs with a fishing pole when I was a kid.
I also remember feeling so proud knowing that when I caught one that I was able to contribute some meat to the kitchen table.

Latest posts