TWRA Hunting requests

MickThompson

fairchaser":2v1ykpgd said:
MUP":2v1ykpgd said:
If I'm not mistaken hasn't the "kill them all" approach already been tried without success in other states? I think I remember reading that in one of the hundred or so cwd threads on here within the last year.

Correct Mup. Kill them all doesn't work but selective elimination has shown to be effective in areas where the rate is high. When older animals, less wary animals and males are targeted, models show the rate goes down.

Does prevalence by sex-age class decrease significantly or the mean across all of them decrease because the sex-age class with the highest natural prevalence rate (mature bucks) all but eliminated from the population?

fairchaser

MickThompson":tjqmijyv said:
fairchaser":tjqmijyv said:
MUP":tjqmijyv said:
If I'm not mistaken hasn't the "kill them all" approach already been tried without success in other states? I think I remember reading that in one of the hundred or so cwd threads on here within the last year.

Correct Mup. Kill them all doesn't work but selective elimination has shown to be effective in areas where the rate is high. When older animals, less wary animals and males are targeted, models show the rate goes down.

Does prevalence by sex-age class decrease significantly or the mean across all of them decrease because the sex-age class with the highest natural prevalence rate (mature bucks) all but eliminated from the population?

It depends on whether the disease is density dependent or frequency dependent. Reducing the population helps more if it's DD.

MickThompson

I'd assume it's ultimately FD since it can persist indefinitely outside of a deer even when the population could theoretically be zero.

I could make my overall prevalence look better on paper by simply killing as many as possible as young as possible but still do nothing to influence the long term prevalence or prevalence by age class.

451LRML

FrontierGander":1owm14e3 said:
hey if they allow inlines, may as well let in the slow reloading single shot cartridges too.
If you don't live in TN (Colorado) or know the TN hunting rules on ML, doubt you hunt here either, why bother to comment at all.
I can only imagine the arrogance of someone making such a comment.

FrontierGander

you mean like when those out of state folks balk at CO rules and having to use open sights, loose powder and conical bullets? :drool:

Then we have states that allow straight wall cartridges during primitive season.

They have some real odd ball law makers that's for sure.

Latest posts