Twra duck hunting change survey

tbadon

I got one and I duck hunt. Hopefully the smaller group was taken from a subset of hunters that have turned in migratory survey responses in the past.

I too think it is good to rest the hunting areas. Not sure what days are best though.

Glad they asked about doing the draws in person. Hope that tradition comes back.

I put in the comments that I would like hunter feedback on how the year-long blinds fared during the days that the 3 and 7 day hunt blinds were not hunted. That information would play into my opinion on blind hopping(which I prefer, but not if hunting all around has improved).

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
That information would play into my opinion on blind hopping(which I prefer, but not if hunting all around has improved).
I think they should allow hopping of them, with some consideration to their reasoning for not allowing it in the first place. Make them hoppable an hour after sunrise, that'll give whoever drew it a chance to get there in case of travel issues on the way, and allow for the ones that don't want to leave the ramp in the dark headed into an unknown area to be able to find their way in with some daylight. And it would allow for someone to go in for the afternoon to a blind that was vacated before lunch.

tbadon

I think they should allow hopping of them, with some consideration to their reasoning for not allowing it in the first place. Make them hoppable an hour after sunrise, that'll give whoever drew it a chance to get there in case of travel issues on the way, and allow for the ones that don't want to leave the ramp in the dark headed into an unknown area to be able to find their way in with some daylight. And it would allow for someone to go in for the afternoon to a blind that was vacated before lunch.
Yeah, I like that. Many of those blinds are hot blinds. I am just wondering if everyone else does better on the days those blinds are not used because the ducks spread out. Or do the ducks still go to the same hole(blind, not hunted), actually decreasing opportunities for everyone else.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I got one, but the link won't work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-203432_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202-203432_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 40

Displaced_Vol

I got mine but Gmail put it in my junk folder so you all check there if you're not seeing it in your inbox. Haven't had time to fill it out yet. Still collecting my thoughts after a turrible duck season

tickweed

TWRA is the type to let places rest from hunting but allow people to access the place and run their surface drives around while its closed. Kinda like they do between the first 2 day hunt and the remainder of the 58 day season.
Amen. I wish they where outlawed if they reached a certain level of noise. They can make an outboard quite, a car quite, why not a surface drive.

TimberMan

I know what I'm about to say will not be a fan favorite but here it goes anyway..
First I do not hunt everyday of season, but would say i'm probably out more than most. I can't believe public land hunters are willing to limit there hunt options to rest an area and make it so it is more overcrowded on the weekends. I enjoy the ability to go to a wma that's open 7 days a week, on a typical workday, with very few other hunters. Ducks seem to work better without 50 groups highballing at everything in sight, or surface drives blasting through roosted ducks. I'd be for a shell restriction and motor size limit before I would hand over hunt days at my favorite wma. I bet if we went to a paddle access, outside of river channels, on wmas the hunting would improve but i don't hear that mentioned, too much work? Do people honestly think we will get days back or will the public hunter be unable to hunt most weekdays, essentially shorting the season due to lack of accessible hunting areas? How about add another split that effects both public and private lands the same. Most of the places with rest days are just as bad of hunting as 7 day hunting wmas. In my opinion the issue is how we use the resource such as the previously mention loud motors, skyblasting, blowing calls nonstop, and every hunter tries to hunt the same 300 acres of a 10,000 acre wma. And yes I believe the addition of both federal and private refuges have hurt hunting.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I know what I'm about to say will not be a fan favorite but here it goes anyway..
First I do not hunt everyday of season, but would say i'm probably out more than most. I can't believe public land hunters are willing to limit there hunt options to rest an area and make it so it is more overcrowded on the weekends. I enjoy the ability to go to a wma that's open 7 days a week, on a typical workday, with very few other hunters. Ducks seem to work better without 50 groups highballing at everything in sight, or surface drives blasting through roosted ducks. I'd be for a shell restriction and motor size limit before I would hand over hunt days at my favorite wma. I bet if we went to a paddle access, outside of river channels, on wmas the hunting would improve but i don't hear that mentioned, too much work? Do people honestly think we will get days back or will the public hunter be unable to hunt most weekdays, essentially shorting the season due to lack of accessible hunting areas? How about add another split that effects both public and private lands the same. Most of the places with rest days are just as bad of hunting as 7 day hunting wmas. In my opinion the issue is how we use the resource such as the previously mention loud motors, skyblasting, blowing calls nonstop, and every hunter tries to hunt the same 300 acres of a 10,000 acre wma. And yes I believe the addition of both federal and private refuges have hurt hunting.

I've reconsidered letting the property rest on certain weekdays. But I am a fan of resting in some ways, even if it's like MO and AR do by making hunters vacate the WMA well before sunset flight.

Latest posts