TWRA Commission Meeting

cm1021

Was this discussed during the latest commission meeting? Gonna try to find it online and see what they say. Banning of tss is stupid! There's not another state that has banned tss!

MickThompson

You can watch the entire meeting online. I just did. They didn't even mention turkeys, much less TSS or decoys. I'm sure turkeys will be a big focus at the April and May meetings as always. So if there are Questions you'd like to ask or changes you'd like to see, now is the time to contact your commissioner.
I just watched and came here to say the same thing. TnDeer used to be a reasonable place to talk hunting but lately it's as bad or worse than any random Facebook group

catman529

I was told that the commission discussed banning TSS and no decoys the first 2 weeks of turkey season beginning next year. Has anyone else heard that??
I'd like to see if this has actually been discussed or not. TSS patterns way better than Longbeard XR, specifically meaning it isn't too tight at close range and puts way more pellets in the bird. I don't see a reason for banning it at all, it's expensive but it's effective. And I am not a fan of long range shots at a turkey, personally.

As for the decoys I'll remain neutral on that one. I never use them, but haven't seen scientific data showing that they are hurting the reproductive capability of turkeys. I will say I think it's entirely possible they are, but I'd like to see something definitive, not just heresay or speculation.

Edit: I just read the rest of the replies, doesn't surprise me it was just a rumor.

th88

As for the decoys I'll remain neutral on that one. I never use them, but haven't seen scientific data showing that they are hurting the reproductive capability of turkeys. I will say I think it's entirely possible they are, but I'd like to see something definitive, not just heresay or speculation.
A lot of us are also still waiting on the scientific data showing hens aren't getting breed/breeding is delayed due to the "dominant gobbler theory". As well as the data showing bag limit reductions will significantly help turkey populations on a landscape level.

megalomaniac

A lot of us are also still waiting on the scientific data showing hens aren't getting breed/breeding is delayed due to the "dominant gobbler theory". As well as the data showing bag limit reductions will significantly help turkey populations on a landscape level.
I think a lot of the GPS collard hen data coming out is showing that the majority of hens aren't even starting to breed until well after season opens in many locales. Perhaps it's just because biologists were wrong back in the 80's when they assumed hens were all bred before season opened and subsequent biologists took it as gospel. Doesn't matter about the 'dominant gobbler' theory if the majority of breeding doesn't occur until AFTER season opening (since nearly 1/3 of the entire season's kill is in the first 9d of the season).

Bag limit reduction does nothing, IMO... The real focus needs to be on 'when', 'where', and 'which'.

WHEN- after hens have been bred.

WHERE- reduced (or NO harvest) in areas with marginal/ unhuntable populations

WHICH- quit killing jakes. Ensure there is a 2y/o the following year to service hens in that local population if all the toms were killed during hunting season in that locale. An another note about 'no jakes'... it will actually save quite a few gobblers as well. Every year here in MS I pass a male bird that comes in to the call, often gobbling, that I cannot positively identify as an 'adult gobbler (definition set by state of MS)'. Enact that on a statewide level, and not only are there thousands more jakes allowed to mature for the following season, but a not insignificant number of gobblers that get passed because they could not be positively identified as adults.

Latest posts