Tweaking Decoys

4onaside

The season has ended and I'm not ready to quit. It occured to me that I have never seen a turkeys legs that were black, yet I have never seen a decoy stake that was anything but black. But "ballet slippers" aint the right shade of pink(dries almost white). "Watermelon" looks like the real deal. As Outdoor host Oneal Williams says, "I'm ready, are you?".

4onaside

Tell you what, why don't you leave all of your calls at home next time you go, and I'll leave my decoys at home, and calls too! I believe that I would continue to kill turkeys on my place without either, and without much drop, if any, in my success rate. Can you honestly say the same? And if you don't believe in state of the art equipment, however you hunt, then I'm sure that you are gunned with a .410 and low brass #8's. And I would say that you probably wear a white dress shirt afield, but I've seen your picture in that absolutely necessary camo clothing(I wear blue jeans and a blue denim shirt most of the time). LOL

4onaside

Well, I do pattern them on my own place, and a jake or hen deke and a call just says "hey, I'm a turkey, here I am, come on over". So they do help me kill turkeys. However, there are a couple of funnels that I can watch which I know that birds come thru daily and kill one without making a sound, just like deer hunting. But, I'm not going to handicap my success possibilites just to prove a point. Either the call/and or the deke at least seal the deal that he knows the location of another turkey. And I enjoy the different deke combos, what works best and when. There are two dekes that I do not own, one a full strut, and the other a jake fanning that I am thinking of trying next time around, particularly since you highly endorse the effectiveness of the full strut type. But whatever dekes that I use will have the right color legs! As dumb as turkeys really are though,they can't distinguish between a rubber turkey and the real thing even at point blank range, a flame orange deke would probably work OK. After all, how many things have you seen in nature wearing blue jeans and a blue denim shirt? It apparently doesn't bother them, so why should a flame orange deke bother them? LOL

WingNut

bsl said:
captain hook said:
One aspect of new era turkey hunting that concerns me to no extent. You don't need decoys anyway, and I am sure leg color is of little importance.

Guess if all I did was sit in a blind and stare at a hunk of plastic I would want to do something to make myself feel like I had some part of making the birds commit ;) :)

Why do you have to post crap like this?Does it make you feel like more of a hunter than others.I am so tired of you attacking people and then posting stuff about Tn hunters being rude to you.Ithought you were gonna try to respect people more but I guess that didn't last long.I just can't understand why you have to try to run others down.

I hunt the woods also and don't use decoys much.But I dam sure don't try to act like I am better than someone sitting on a field.i also don't understand why you think decoys are are sure kill.I know a lot of people who use them that don't have turkey run into them.I have talked to a lot of people who say they have spooked as many with them as they have killed.I just wish you would not talk down to everyone like you do.

It makes him feel better about himself. But hey who am I. According to him I hunt the Butterball Turkey factory that is Marshall County where every Tom Richard and Harry can kill their limit. What a joke. He has no clue. Just let him post crap and boost his ego because after all he is the best turkey hunter in the whole state and if you dont do it his way it isn't right.

4onaside

My intent for the post was to give any do-it-yourselfers on here that like to piddle with their gear an idea that I tried, simple and easy, not to debate the use of decoys or to be told that those of us who do are not true hunters. But the king needs to understand that it is a war or even a battle that he cannot win, because probably far more TURKEY HUNTERS use decoys nowadays than don't. I imagine that Will Primos and Knight and Hale and the others could give us their decoy sales numbers that would curl your eyelashes! And man, those pink legs sure look good!

WingNut

I have no problem with the jokes, yeah I know that I am fortunate enough to hunt in a county where you have to work to kill a bird but not as hard as some. Hook it seems to me that everytime someone post something about decoys or the way they hunt you have something negative to say and its the same argument everytime. You beat that horse to death already no need to keep beating. I can take a joke with the best of them, but after a while it gets old. I might just take you up on the friendly competition. I haven't pounded my chest not one time, I think that may be a case of the pot calling the kettle black there (insert smiley here). I havent been the one talking about how many birds I killed and how many I called up for people, I think that was you.

jackscreek

Now I feel so guilty about using full strut decoys, popup blinds, and all the other "things" that make killing a turkey so easy, that I swear, I'm going to make and use my own longbow and cedar arrows with hand-chipped stone arrowheads, wear nothing but buckskin moccasins and loin cloth, hunt only heavily forested mountains, at no lower than 5,000 feet elevation, use vocalized calling only, not shoot any turkey over 10 yards away, and I'm gonna limit out in at least five states next spring! By golly! (Smiley not needed)

A

Anonymous

this decoy craze is another example of taking the easy way out. hook is correct, a gun on your shoulder, something to sit on, and a few calls is all the equipment needed to kill any turkey in the country, including field birds. there is no comparison to the excitement and challenge of sitting on a naked tree and having that mature bird come in looking for nothing but you. to me, turkey hunting is about working a hard gobbling bird, just off the roost, on his turf and fooling him. i have and do kill em other ways too, but most times i find myself a bit disappointed in the hunt when i do.

4onaside

jackscreek said:
Now I feel so guilty about using full strut decoys, popup blinds, and all the other "things" that make killing a turkey so easy, that I swear, I'm going to make and use my own longbow and cedar arrows with hand-chipped stone arrowheads, wear nothing but buckskin moccasins and loin cloth, hunt only heavily forested mountains, at no lower than 5,000 feet elevation, use vocalized calling only, not shoot any turkey over 10 yards away, and I'm gonna limit out in at least five states next spring! By golly! (Smiley not needed)
Boy, you'd better give up your wayward practices or the state won't even issue you a license! Besides, its really difficult to parachute in carrying a full strut deke under each arm.

Grizzly Johnson

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
I gotta get me one of those cow decoys. As anyone used one of them.

You know I was thinking the same thing as I watched some birds feed along side a herd of cattle this past season. They were right out in the middle of the pasture where there wasn't even a twig for cover.

Latest posts